The degree can be obtained by successfully completing a curriculum with coursework and a mini-dissertation.
The modules are presented in block weeks. The attendance of block weeks is compulsory. All examinations are conducted at the Department of Construction Economics, South Campus, University of Pretoria.
The curriculum is compiled in consultation with the Head of Department. In order to be considered for the MSc Real Estate degree by coursework to be awarded, a candidate should have obtained a minimum of 120 credits for modules and in addition, have submitted and passed an applicable mini-dissertation (60 credits), i.e. a total of 180 credits.
- BScHons (Real Estate) degree at NQF level 8 including 30 credits of research and relevant practical experience of at least 3 years in the built environment or MSc (Real Estate)-related fields or equivalent degree in the built environment, law or business including 30 credits of research and relevant practical experience of at least 3 years in the built environment or MSc (Real Estate)-related fields
- Comprehensive intellectual CV with specific reference to research outputs and publications
- Statement on why the applicant is suitable to undertake the research
Other programme-specific information
The Head of Department may, at own discretion, allow for any other module that is deemed appropriate for an individual student’s circumstances, to be taken elsewhere as elective in lieu of the abovementioned elective modules.
Examinations and pass requirements
- A minimum of 40% is required in the examination, with a minimum final mark of 50% to pass.
- Examination requirements are set out in the departmental study manuals.
- The topic of the mini-dissertation must be approved by the Head of Department and a minimum of 50% is required to pass.
- The degree is conferred with distinction on a student who obtains a weighted average of at least 75% in half of the required modules, at least 75% in the mini-dissertation and a weighted average of at least 65% in the remaining modules, constituting the required credits for the MSc Real Estate degree.