The master’s degree may only be awarded in the field of study of the prerequisite degree or equivalent qualification. Not all the different fields of study are presented every year. Commencement of studies must therefore be discussed beforehand with the head of department.
- Subject to the stipulations of General Regulation G.62 the Bachelor of Nursing Science degree is required for admission. In the case of the non-clinical fields another approved bachelor’s degree may also be considered.
- Successful completion of an entrance examination according to the discretion of the head of department.
Clinical fields of specialisation:
(aa) A minimum of one year experience as registered nurse in the workplace, which is deemed appropriate by the head of department for the proposed field of study, other nursing science-related modules excluded.
(bb) Students must, at least on a part-time basis, have access to clinical learning facilities suitable for the chosen field of specialisation, and approved by the head of department for the field of study in question.
(cc) Registration with the South African Nursing Council (SANC) is required as follows:
- For Advanced Medical and Surgical Nursing Science (Critical Care Nursing: General), as general nurse.
- For Advanced Medical and Surgical Nursing Science (Critical Care: Trauma and Emergency Nursing), as general nurse.
- For Advanced Midwifery and Neonatal Nursing Science, as general nurse and midwife/accoucheur.
- For Advanced Psychiatric Nursing Science, as general nurse and psychiatric nurse.
- For Advanced Community Nursing Science, as general nurse, midwife/accoucheur and community nurse.
- For Advanced Paediatric Nursing Science, as general nurse and midwife/accoucheur.
- For Advanced Neonatal Nursing Science, as general nurse and midwife/accoucheur.
- For Advanced Women’s Health, as general nurse, midwife/ accoucheur and community nurse.
- For Primary Healthcare, as general nurse, midwife/accou-cheur and community nurse, as well as listing with the SANC, in the Handling of Medicine in Nursing and the Physical Evaluation of Patients.
Registration with the South African Nursing Council (SANC) is required as follows:
- For Nursing Management, as general nurse and in Nursing Administration (Nursing Management).
- For Nursing Education, as general nurse and lecturer.
Examinations and pass requirements
- A final mark of at least 50% must be obtained in each of the prescribed modules in order to pass.
- Modules with a practical and/or clinical training component can only be passed if the student has also completed all prescribed practical and/or clinical work to the satisfaction of the relevant head of department.
- The degree is conferred on a student who has complied with all the degree requirements.
Pass with distinction
- The degree is conferred with distinction on a student who has maintained an average of at least 75% for the duration of his/her studies, with the exception of Nursing research methodology (VNM 800) and Advanced dynamics of nursing practice (DNP 800).
- Students who complete the degree in a clinical field of specialisation, will receive their degree certificates endorsed with the subspeciality in question.