The master’s degree may only be awarded in the field of study of the prerequisite degree or equivalent qualification. Not all the different fields of study are presented every year. Commencement of studies must therefore be discussed beforehand with the head of department.
- Bachelor of Nursing Science degree or appropriate postgraduate diploma or
relevant bachelor’s degree
- Successful completion of the selection process
- At least one year experience as a registered nurse specialist in the field of speciality
- Access to accredited, suitable, clinical training facilities
- Registration with the South African Nursing Council (SANC):
- For Advanced Medical and Surgical Nursing Science (Critical Care Nursing: General), as general nurse
- For Advanced Medical and Surgical Nursing Science (Critical Care: Trauma and Emergency Nursing), as general nurse
- For Advanced Midwifery and Neonatal Nursing Science, as general nurse and midwife/accoucheur
- For Advanced Psychiatric Nursing Science, as general nurse and psychiatric nurse
- For Advanced Community Nursing Science, as general nurse, midwife/accoucheur and community nurse
- For Advanced Paediatric Nursing Science, as general nurse and midwife/accoucheur
- For Advanced Neonatal Nursing Science, as general nurse and midwife/accoucheur
- For Advanced Women’s Health, as general nurse, midwife/ accoucheur and community nurse
- For Primary Healthcare, as general nurse, midwife/accoucheur and community nurse, as well as listing with the SANC, in the Handling of Medicine in Nursing and the Physical Evaluation of Patients
Examinations and pass requirements
- A final mark of at least 50% must be obtained in each of the prescribed modules in order to pass.
- Modules with a practical and/or clinical training component can only be passed if the student has also completed all prescribed practical and/or clinical work to the satisfaction of the relevant head of department.
- The degree is conferred on a student who has complied with all the degree requirements.
Pass with distinction
- The degree is conferred with distinction on a student who has maintained an average of at least 75% (not rounded) for the duration of his/her studies, with the exception of Nursing research methodology (VNM 800) and Advanced dynamics of nursing practice (DNP 800).
- Students who complete the degree in a clinical field of specialisation, will receive their degree certificates endorsed with the subspeciality in question.