- A national first degree (3-year) in music - BMus or BA (Music) - with a minimum average of 65% and departemental approval, or
- A three or four-year undergraduate qualification in related fields (e.g. Psychology, Social work, Speech therapy, Occupational therapy, Teaching, Nursing) with strong musical skills.
- Departmental selection takes place.
• Completion of an admissions test.
• Applicants are selected on the basis of academic background, musical skills and auditions (musical and personal).
• Places are limited; if the number of suitable candidates exceeds the number of places on the programme, preference will be given to students who took their first degree at the University of Pretoria.
Other programme-specific information
It is possible to choose a combination of modules from different fields of study (Music Education, Musicology and Music Technology). In special cases with the permission of the head of department, it is permissible to present a second research report instead of one of the modules.