The degree is conferred on the basis of a dissertation and examination on the field of study of the dissertation and/or divisions of the field of study as required by the relevant head of department.
- Relevant BScHons degree awarded by the University of Pretoria (or equivalent)
- Cumulative weighted average of at least 65% for the honours degree
- Evidence of knowledge of research methodology
- Comprehensive intellectual CV
- An entrance/admissions examination may be required
Note: Additional work/modules may be required in order to reach the desired level of competency
Examinations and pass requirements
Upgrading from a master's to a doctoral degree
- This EBIT faculty regulation should be read in addition to G41.
- Upgrading from a master’s to a doctoral degree can only be considered for exceptional students.
- Application for upgrading can only be submitted after at least one year of study for the master's degree, but no later than two years.
- The application for the upgrading must include the following:
- A letter from the candidate requesting the upgrade which includes a brief motivation.
- A progress report prepared by the candidate and supported by the supervisor on the work completed to date for the master's degree. The report must provide proof that the results obtained thus far are of such standard and scientific importance that it justifies its converting to a doctoral degree.
- All details regarding presentations during conferences and accepted publication(s) in internationally accredited and high impact journals must be provided in full.
- A detailed explanation by the candidate of the intended doctoral project with an indication of the objectives of the project, methodology and the outcomes he or she intends to achieve with the project.
- A recommendation of the supervisor with specific comment on the ability of the applicant as potential doctoral candidate as well as on the expediency and feasibility of the upgrading.
- A report from at least one external referent. The supervisor should forward 2 nominations to the head of the relevant department for recommendation to the DD Research and Postgraduate studies who will appoint one referent.
- A minimum of one journal article, where the candidate is the first author, in a high-impact accredited journal with an explanation by the supervisor with respect to the specific contribution made by the candidate.
- A recommendation by the head of department.
Get Social With Us
Download the UP Mobile App