The Master of Interior Architecture (Professional) is done by coursework, a design investigation mini-dissertation and design project and discourse.
Refer to General Regulations G.30 to G.40 and G.50 to G.54.
- A Bint Hons degree; or an equivalent degree that includes spatial design at NQF level 8 (or NQF level 7 for qualifications obtained before 2009).
- The departmental Postgraduate Committee may require an evaluation in fields of knowledge and registration for additional modules for non-degree purposes.
- An applicant who has completed a Bint Hons degree at the University of Pretoria with a minimum average of 60% for all modules in the honours curriculum (completed in the same academic year) will be granted admission into this degree.
- All other applicants must have practical experience and/or a record of an extended study excursion, submit a portfolio and design journal, and are interviewed for selection.
- A limited number of applicants are admitted to this degree. Refer to the departmental website for guidelines.
Other programme-specific information
The topic of the final design project (DIT 803 & DPD 803) must be approved by the relevant head of department.
Awarding of degree
The degree is awarded to those students having obtained the prescribed credits. Those students admitted with conditions must comply with all of these before all the 700 series module credits and the degree are awarded.
Examinations and pass requirements
The minimum pass mark is 50%. A minimum of 40% is required in the examination, with a minimum final mark of 50% to pass. If a module is not evaluated by examination, a minimum coursework mark of 50% is required.
If the module is not evaluated by coursework, a minimum examination mark of 50% is required.
General Regulation G.39.12 applies with regard to the required publication.
Pass with distinction
The degree is conferred with distinction on those students registering for the first time and obtaining a distinction (75%) simultaneously for both the Design investigation mini-dissertation (DIT 803) and the Design project and discourse (DPD 803) with the proviso that the degree is completed within the minimum prescribed time and all other final-year modules are passed on first registration.