The master's degree is conferred on the basis of a dissertation (180 credits).
- A BEng Hons degree awarded by the University of Pretoria, or an equivalent qualification. The applicant must have passed this degree with a weighted average of at least 65%.
- The applicant must also meet the admission requirements for the BEng Hons degree.
- The departmental Postgraduate Committee may require additional honours modules for non-degree purposes where background is insufficient.
- The departmental Postgraduate Committee may request evidence of knowledge of research methodology.
- The departmental Postgraduate Committee reserves the right to make a thorough assessment of the applicant's academic transcript and CV, and to decide if the applicant is suitable for postgraduate studies. This assessment may include an oral or written entrance examination.
- The applicant must determine the research group/focus area and a potential supervisor and confirm the potential supervisor’s availability (see departmental website for research groups and heads of research groups). Admission will be granted only if the intended research fits in with the research foci of the Department and the supervision capacity exists, as decided by the Head of the Department.
Other programme-specific information
Please refer to the Programme Guide for further information, available here.
Examinations and pass requirements
The stipulations of the relevant Faculty regulations are applicable.
The average mark awarded by all the examiners is the final mark, with the pass mark being at least 50%.
A student must by means of a dissertation prove that he or she is capable of planning, instituting and executing a scientific investigation. Unless the Senate, on the recommendation of the supervisor, decides otherwise, a student, before or on submission of a dissertation, must submit proof issued by a recognised academic journal that an article was submitted, to the Head: Student Administration. The draft article should be based on the research that the student has conducted for the dissertation and be approved by the supervisor if the supervisor is not a co-author. The supervisor shall be responsible for ensuring that the paper is taken through all the processes of revision and resubmission, as may be necessary. Conferment of the degree may be made subject to compliance with the stipulations of this regulation.
Pass with distinction
A student passes with distinction if an average mark of at least 75% is obtained for the dissertation (and the examination on the dissertation, where applicable).