The master's degree is conferred by virtue of a dissertation (FTP 890), on an approved topic based on research.
Note: All MPhysT students must register for, and attend (TNM 802) Applied research methodology 800 satisfactorily.
- The BPhysio degree or an equivalent qualification.
- Registration as a physiotherapist with the Health Professions Council of South Africa.
- Students must also hold at least a part-time position, deemed applicable for master's degree studies by the head of department.
- Candidates will be required to provide proof of having successfully completed applicable postgraduate modules in clinical fields of specialisation, e.g. Orthopaedic Manual Therapy 1, before the MPhysio degree will be conferred.
- During the MPhysio studies, students must participate in formal departmental instruction and/or research programmes of at least 60 hours per year.
- Postgraduate modules for all the fields of specialisation for the MPhysio degree with coursework, are offered on a biennial basis, if at least five applicants apply for admission to a particular field of specialisation.
- Applicants will be notified as soon as possible after the closing date, whether or not a particular field of specialisation will be presented in the subsequent year.
All students must submit a publication that has been accepted for publication by an accredited journal before the degree will be conferred.
Pass with distinction
To obtain the degree with distinction, at least 75% is required for the dissertation.