Renewal of registration
- Subject to exceptions approved by the Dean, on the recommendation of the relevant head of department, a student may not sit for an examination for the honours degree more than twice in the same module.
- A student for an honours degree must complete his or her study, in the case of full-time students, within two years and, in the case of after-hours students, within three years of first registering for the degree. Under special circumstances, the Dean, on the recommendation of the relevant head of department, may give approval for a limited extension of this period.
In calculating marks, General Regulation G.12.2 applies.
Apart from the prescribed coursework, a research project is an integral part of the study.
- BSc (Plant Science) or on recommendation from the head of department if the candidate did not major in Plant science.
- A minimum of 60% in Phytomedicine 365 (BOT 365)
- A final grade point average of at least 60% at final-year level
The recommended modules at BSc third-year level are as follows:
- BOT 366 Plant diversity
- BOT 356 Plant ecophysiology
- BCM 368 Molecular basis for disease
- BCM 357 Biocatalysis and integration of metabolism
- FAR 382 Pharmacology
- CMY 282 Physical chemistry
- CMY 284 Organic chemistry
Pass with distinction
The BScHons degree is awarded with distinction to a candidate who obtains a weighted average of at least 75% in all the prescribed modules and a minimum of 65% in any one module.