Renewal of registration
- Subject to exceptions approved by the Dean, on the recommendation of the relevant head of department, a student may not sit for an examination for the honours degree more than twice in the same module.
- A student for an honours degree must complete his or her study, in the case of full-time students, within two years and, in the case of after-hours students, within three years of first registering for the degree. Under special circumstances, the Dean, on the recommendation of the relevant head of department, may give approval for a limited extension of this period.
In calculating marks, General Regulation G.12.2 applies.
Apart from the prescribed coursework, a research project is an integral part of the study.
- BSc (Geology) or BSc (Engineering and Environmental Geology)
- At least an average of 60% for all the modules in applied geology at second-year and third-year level
- Modules must include;
- Soil mechanics,
- Rock mechanics,
- Engineering geology,
- Complete preceding degree will be considered for selection.
- Only limited to 15 positions, candidates who have progressed in the minimum period will take preference.
Pass with distinction
The BScHons degree is awarded with distinction to a candidate who obtains a weighted average of at least 75% in all the prescribed modules and a minimum of 65% in any one module.