- Registration as a specialist in the base or one of the base specialities of the HPCSA against the relevant subspeciality.
- Appointed against an HPCSA-approved training number.
Examinations and pass requirements
- Submission of a satisfactory logbook of clinical cases prior to admission to writing the examination of the relevant College of Medicine.
- Successful completion of the examination of the relevant College of Medicine will constitute credit for the Part 1 of the relevant MPhil degree.
- Candidates who register for the relevant Part 2 of the MPhil degree and complete the required dissertation or approved equivalent such as a published paper or paper submitted for publication will be awarded the MPhil degree.
Pass with distinction
The degree will be conferred with distinction on candidates who obtain a mark of 75% or more for Part 2 (the dissertation). Part 1 will be awarded only as a Pass or Fail.