- A MEng degree awarded by the University of Pretoria or researched-based master’s degree in engineering awarded by another university.
- The applicant must also meet the admission requirements for the BEng Hons degree.
- The departmental Postgraduate Committee may require additional honours modules for non-degree purposes where background is insufficient.
- All applicants from other universities must submit a copy of the master’s dissertation in PDF format and a list of published journal articles (if any).
- The departmental Postgraduate Committee reserves the right to make a thorough assessment of the applicant's academic transcript and CV, and to decide if the applicant is suitable for postgraduate studies. This assessment may include an oral or written entrance examination.
- A research concept may be required; see departmental brochure.
- The applicant must determine the research group/focus area and a potential supervisor and confirm the potential supervisor’s availability (see departmental website for research groups and heads of research groups). Admission will be granted only if the intended research fits in with the research foci of the Department and the supervision capacity exists, as decided by the Head of the Department.
Other programme-specific information
Also consult the General Regulations.
- Subject to the stipulations of the General Regulations, no candidate is admitted to doctoral studies unless such a candidate holds a master's degree in Engineering or an equivalent master's degree.
- Unless otherwise decided by the Dean, on the recommendation of the supervisor, the PhD (Engineering) degree is awarded on the basis of a thesis and an examination on the thesis.
- Unless Senate, on the recommendation of the supervisor, decides otherwise, a student, before or on submission of a thesis, must submit proof of submission of an article from/issued by an accredited journal, to the Head: Student Administration. The submitted article should be based on the research that the student has conducted for the thesis and be approved by the supervisor if the supervisor is not a co-author. The supervisor shall be responsible for ensuring that the paper is taken through all the processes of revision and resubmission, as may be necessary. Conferment of the degree may be made subject to compliance with the stipulations of this regulation.
- The student must provide proof by means of his work, thesis and examination of advanced original research and/or creative work which makes a real and substantial contribution to the knowledge of engineering science and/or practice.