The BScHons (Applied Science) degree is conferred by the following academic departments:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering
- Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
Any specific module is offered on the condition that a minimum number of students are registered for the module, as determined by the relevant head of department and the Dean. Students must consult the relevant head of department in order to compile a meaningful programme, as well as on the syllabi of the modules. The relevant departmental postgraduate brochures must also be consulted.
- BEng degree awarded by the University of Pretoria; or a four-year bachelor’s degree in engineering that ECSA regards as acceptable for registration as a candidate engineer and for eventual registration as a professional engineer.
- The departmental Postgraduate Committee reserves the right to make a thorough assessment of the applicant's academic transcript and CV, and to decide if the applicant is suitable for postgraduate studies. This assessment may include an oral or written entrance examination.