The purpose of this integrated programme is to provide qualifiers with professional training for a career in social work. The theoretical training goes hand in hand with appropriate practical skills training.
- The following persons will be considered for admission: a candidate who is in possession of a certificate that is deemed by the University to be equivalent to the required Grade 12 certificate with university endorsement; a candidate who is a graduate from another tertiary institution or has been granted the status of a graduate of such an institution; and a candidate who is a graduate of another faculty at the University of Pretoria.
- Candidates who comply with the minimum subject requirements and achievement levels as well as the APS requirements of these programmes will be granted placement in the programmes, subject to the availability of space.
- To retain admission, learners will be expected to obtain an APS of at least 30 in Grade 12.
- Applicants who meet the minimum APS requirement, but who do not comply with the subject requirements must write the NBT.
- Life Orientation is excluded when calculating the APS.
- Departmental selection takes place at the end of the first year and is based on academic merit (i.e. GPA = 60%), aptitude tests and an interview.
Afrikaans or English
Other programme-specific information
- Students who are deemed to be at risk of their level of academic literacy are compelled to take ALL 110 and ALL 125.
- Students who are deemed NOT to be at risk of their level of academic literacy are compelled to take language modules to the value of 12 credits from the list of language modules (see Academic literacy).
- In order to be admitted to year level 2, students are selected according to academic achievement, (i.e. GPA = 60), aptituted tests and an interview which carry an equal weight. This selection process applies also to students from other universities applying for continuation of the social work studies at UP. Further information is available from the programme coordinator.
- No student will be allowed to commence with the fourth year of the BSW before the successful completion of all the social work modules up to the third-year level, as well as all modules in the first and second year of the BSW programme.
- If Criminology is selected up to third-year level, apart from all of the abovementioned Criminology modules, students also have to take SLK 220 and SOC 220.
- If Psychology is selected up to third-year level, apart from all of the abovementioned Psychology modules, students also have to take KRM 210 and SOC 220.
- If Sociology is selected up to third-year level, apart from all of the abovementioned Sociology modules, students also have to take KRM 210 and SLK 220.