Marketing of services gives the student an opportunity to study a speciality area of marketing, which has become a necessity in the South African marketing world.
The module aims at studying important concepts of the basic theory of marketing of services with specific reference to the practical use thereof in the daily business situation. In addition the student is given the opportunity to apply the speciality area of marketing of services in practice and is simultaneously exposed to the latest developments in marketing of services.
Topics which will be handled include the difference between products and services, the expanded marketing services mix, the philosophy of service quality and the measuring of quality service.
Evaluation is in the format of short seminars within group context, progress tests, and assignments.
The focus in this module will be teaching on some of the fundamental processes, principles and techniques necessary to conduct and interpret empirical research in a business context.
• To develop the student’s ability to think strategically
• To explain the ways in which a company can develop a sustainable
• To teach students the practical capabilities in situation analysis,
strategic alternatives and the “what if” analysis
• To equip students with the art of understanding the coordination
between the corporate and marketing strategy
• To teach students the processes of target market identification and
• To teach students how to use management techniques and
financial analysis in a management perspective
• To develop students’ holistic, creative and abstract thoughts with
the aim to integrate their previous knowledge
• To develop the awareness of ethical and social responsible
behaviours of individuals and companies
• To develop students’ ability to formulate their thoughts scientifically
and logically and to communicate their thoughts in writing and
The module requires the learner to develop a portfolio that demonstrates their ability to conduct research, write research reports, compile different marketing documents/reports, present to audiences, solve marketing-related strategic problems and prepare profile documents.