In terms of its Code of conduct on the handling of Sexual harassment and its Policy on Unfair Discrimination on the basis of Race, the University of Pretoria strives towards creating a living and study environment for each of its students that is non-sexist, non-racist and non-discriminatory.
Disciplinary steps can be taken against students who commit acts of sexual harassment and/or unfair discrimination on the basis of race. Upon conviction, such students can be expelled.
Sexual harassment is unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that violates the rights of a student and constitutes a barrier to equity within the University community, while unfair discrimination on the basis of race impairs a student?s right to a non-discriminatory, non-racial study or living environment.
The procedures to be followed by a complainant to report cases of sexual harassment and unfair discrimination on the basis of race are set out the University’s policies and can be illustrated as follows:
PROCEDURE TO REPORT A CASE PERTAINING TO SEXUAL HARASSMENT AND/OR RACIAL DISCRIMINATION:
1. Reporting/Complaint at Protection Officer*/Student Council member*/ Member of the Support Panel*
2. Consultation: Complainant with Protection Officer
3. Choice: Either Mediation or Disciplinary Procedure
4. Mediation: Come to an Agreement OR
5. If no Agreement, Disciplinary Procedure
* Student Council member (Tel: 012 366 9800)
* Protection Officer: Mrs E Gardiner: Legal Services Division (Tel: 012 420 3073)
Access to the Code of conduct on the handling of Sexual harassment is available at http://www.up.ac.za/media/shared/409/code-of-conduct-on-the-handling-of-sexual-harrasment.zp85249.pdf
* The names and contact details of members of the Support Panel to whom complaints can be reported are attached to the policy. 24 hour crisis line: Tel (012) 420 2310 or 0800 006 428 (toll free).
The Policy on Unfair Discrimination on the Basis of Race is available at http://www.up.ac.za/media/shared/409/unfair-discrimination-on-the-basis-of-race.zp87166.pdf