- Subject to the stipulations of General Regulation G.62 the Bachelor's degree in Occupational Therapy or an equivalent qualification is required for admission as well as registration as occupational therapist with the Health Professions Council of South Africa.
- A student must have at least one year clinical experience in the proposed field of study (Community service year excluded).
- A student must hold at least a 15 hours per week position for the duration of study deemed applicable to the proposed field of study by the head of department.
- Fields of specialisation for the MOccTher degree with coursework are offered on an annual basis if at least five applicants apply for admission to a particular field of specialisation. The closing date for new applications is 31 October annually. Applicants will be notified as soon as possible after this date whether or not a particular field of specialisation will be presented in thesubsequent year. Commencent of studies must therefore be discussed beforehand with the head of department.
- For the MOccTher degree by virtue of research a written structured letter of motivation must be submitted with the application on 31 October.
Also consult the General Regulations.
Students must register for, and attend (TNM 800) Applied research methodology 800 satisfactorily. (Exemption will be granted if the module, BSN 701 Biostatistics and research methodology has been passed for the BOccTherHons degree.)
Examinations and pass requirements
The minimum pass mark for the dissertation is 50%.
Pass with distinction
The degree is conferred with distinction on a student who has obtained at least 75% for the dissertation and at least 65% in the module (ATP 800) Theory in occupational therapy practice 800. (TNM 800) Applied research methodology 800 and (ART 800) Occupational therapy 800 must have been attended satisfactorily.