Subject to the stipulations of the General Regulations a candidate can be admitted if he/she holds one of the following qualifications:
- a Bachelor’s degree and a teacher’s diploma/Postgraduate Certificate in Education (eg BA + HED); or
- a four year composite degree in Education (eg BAEd); or
- an M+4 teacher’s diploma; or
- an M+3 teacher’s diploma and a Further Diploma in Education (FDE) or an Advanced Certificate in Education (ACE); or
- another academic qualification considered equivalent by the Dean for admission to a specific package. In this instance the qualification will not be recognised for teaching purposes.
Selection is based on:
- Meeting the minimum academic requirements required for admission;
- Previous academic performance;
- Applicable academic and/or teaching background;
- Availability of supervision for the required research project;
- Proven academic potential which may include academic communication and computer application skills;
- Additionally, an interview may be requested;
- The requirements of professional registration bodies;
- The discretion of the head of department.
Other programme-specific information
The elective module can replace any of the core modules as approved by the package coordinator.
Examinations and pass requirements
Subject to exceptions approved by the Dean, on the recommendation of the head of the department, a student may not sit for an examination for the honours degree more than twice in the same module.
A final-year student who has failed a maximum of three semester modules or their equivalent, with a final mark of at least 40% in each, may be admitted by the Dean to a special examination/s in these modules during January of the following year, provided that this will enable the student to comply with all the requirements for the degree.
A research project is compulsory and must be handed in for examination, as prescribed by the particular department.
Pass with distinction
The degree is conferred with distinction on a student who has obtained an average of at least 75%, with a minimum of 70% in each module.