- Relevant BCom degree
- A weighted average of at least 65% for Strategic Management at final-year level
The Department can only admit 30 students to the honours programme per year, and as a result, current University of Pretoria students who comply with the entry requirements will get preference to fill the first 20 openings based on their OBS 320 mark. The remaining 10 places will be filled by the 10 candidates who scored the highest marks in the entrance examination. The entrance examination will be written by applicants from other universities as well as current University of Pretoria students that were not successful in the first round of selection and who would like a second opportunity to be considered for selection.
Registration for a second field of study
With reference to General Academic Regulation G23, a student who has already completed a bachelor of honours degree at this or another university, may, with the permission of the Dean, register for another degree, subject to the regulations applicable to the field of study in question and to any other stipulations the Dean may prescribe on the condition that there shall be no overlap in the course content of the first degree and the second degree. Such a concession may be withdrawn by the dean/deans if the student does not perform satisfactorily.
Recognition of modules
- Subject to the stipulations of General Academic Regulation G23 and the Joint Statute, a dean may acknowledge modules passed at another tertiary institution or at this university in a department other than that in which the honours study is undertaken for the honours degree – provided that at least half of the required modules for the degree in question are attended and passed at this university.
- If there is overlap in the course content of the degree for which the student wishes to enrol or is enrolled and a degree already conferred, the Dean may not acknowledge any modules that form part of the degree already conferred.
Other programme-specific information
- All the modules are compulsory and a minimum of 120 credits must be obtained. Only students registered for the BComHons (Business Management) degree programme may register for SBE 780, INR 780, OBS 780, OBS 782 and OBS 785.
- A semester mark of 40% is required to be admitted to the examination.
- The semester mark will be compiled from assignments, group projects and written tests.
- Final examinations will take place during May/June and October/November annually.
- A final mark of 50% is required to pass a module.
- There are no supplementary examinations for any of the modules.
- A maximum of two (2) years will be allowed for the completion of the honours degree.
Examinations and pass requirements
Subject to the provisions of General Academic Regulation G26, a head of department determines, in consultation with the Dean when the honours examinations in his/her department will take place, provided that:
- honours examinations which do not take place before the end of the academic year must take place before the closing date of the special exam period in the beginning of the following academic year, and all examination results must be submitted to Student Administration before the closing date of submission of marks; and
- honours examinations which do not take place before the end of the first semester may take place no later than the closing date of the exam period, and all examination results must be submitted to Student Administration on or before the closing date of submission of marks.
The head of the department determines:
- whether a candidate will be admitted to a supplementary examination, provided that a supplementary examination is granted, only once in a maximum of two prescribed semester modules or once in one year module.
- the manner in which research reports are prepared and examined in his/her department.
Supplementary examinations (if granted) cover the same subject matter as was the case for the examinations.
A student may not enrol for the same module more than once, unless the dean has approved a second enrolment based on an application supported by a valid reason or motivation. Also refer to General Academic Regulation G18.3.
NB: Full details are published in each department's postgraduate information brochure, which is available from the relevant head of department. The minimum pass mark for a research report is 50%.
Subject to the provisions of G26, the subminimum required in subdivisions of modules is published in the study guides, which are available from the relevant head of department.
Pass with distinction
In order to be awarded the BComHons (Business Management) degree with distinction, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Obtain a Grade Point Average of at least 75% including at least 75% for the research component
- Complete the degree within the minimum period prescribed.
- Only the final mark of the first attempt to pass the modules or research report will be considered.
- The GPA will be not be rounded up to a whole number.