If you’re a new first-year student kicking off your higher education journey at the University of Pretoria (UP) in 2023, congratulations on your decision to #ChooseUP!
We know this big step can be very daunting, but please rest assured that UP has plenty of information available to help you make sense of campus life, and people you can call upon to assist you if you feel overwhelmed at any stage.
To get you started, here is a handy graphic summary of the most important next steps, which all conditionally admitted students should have received via email.
The PDF at the link above lays out all the important dates and information, but here’s another summary of the most important steps you need to be aware of:
- Please check the UP Student Portal at www1.up.ac.za and accept the programme offer. Check the “Communication” tab in the Student Portal regularly so you don’t miss any important updates.
- Pay your initial tuition (and residence, if applicable) fee. More information is available here.
- Complete your student contract on the Student Portal. You must print and either post (check the PDF linked above for the postal address) or deliver the contract to the Student Service Centre on Hatfield Campus, or you will not be able to register. Check the PDF linked above for detailed information about completing the student contract, or watch this video.
- Check your final admission status (based on your final school-leaving certificate) from 23 January 2023 on the Student Portal. If you have met the minimum requirements for your programme, have delivered your student contract to UP, and paid your initial tuition/ residence fees, you can proceed with registration via the Student Portal from 24 January 2023. If you need any assistance with registration, phone the help desk at 012-420-5347 or send an email to [email protected]
- Make a booking to collect your student card in person (check your email for your confirmation of registration and details of how to book to collect your student card).
- Attend Welcome Day for first-year students and parents/guardians on 11 February 2023.
- All new first-years must attend First-Year Orientation from 13 to 17 February 2023. This will help you get to know the university, and also be sure you’ve signed up for the correct modules to meet your programme requirements.
- Lectures for most programmes will start on Monday, 20 February 2023.
- UP follows a blended teaching and learning approach, which includes online components. So you must have access to an internet-enabled device, preferably a laptop. Please check your faculty website for more information about specific laptop requirements.
That’s it for now – you’ve worked hard to get to this point, and we know you’re going to soar even higher in your university career. Well done on your decision to #ChooseUP, we look forward to an exciting year of growth and making today matter!
Visit the UP online registration page for more information and details about student financial aid.