Posted on September 21, 2021
THE JAVETT ART CENTRE AT UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA (JAVETT-UP)
Curator: Public Engagement Programmes
5 years contract eligible for renewal subject to satisfactory performance
The Javett-UP is a partnership between the University of Pretoria and the Javett Foundation. Both share a firm belief in the emancipatory potential of the arts in society through multidisciplinary curatorial and pedagogic initiatives. It’s a project that is collegiate as it is philanthropic. With one foot firmly rooted in academia, and the other imbedded in the public, Javett-UP aims to critically respond to histories of Africa’s creative outputs and the future aspirations of the continent and its diaspora.
Central to Javett-UP is our commitment to continuous de-colonial dialogues and sustained critical enquiries where activities of writers, artists, researchers, advocacy groups, historians, politicians, farmers, scientists, musicians, etc can intersect. In this way, the space becomes a platform for education and learning; conversations about creativity and innovation, contributing to the discourse and reflecting upon historical and political events as interpreted by artists from Africa and the diaspora.
The Curator of Public Engagement Programmes is a position requiring creativity and detailed organizational and communication skills. The role involves the conceptualization and coordination of public programmes alongside ongoing curatorial projects as well as independent of them. The individual will be the institutional lead for establishing contact zones within the University of Pretoria, around the city of Tshwane and its surrounding communities and beyond, including in the digital sphere. Through public engagement programmes, the individual will ensure the integration of Javett-UP strategic goals, help develop and embody our brand and drive revenue streams. The Curator of Public Engagement Programmes will work collaboratively with the curatorial team ensuring the planning of projects from conceptualization to implementation. They will ensure that Javett-UP programmes are multidisciplinary in nature allowing various entry points for the public from different backgrounds and levels of experiences. Through strategic conceptualisation of programmes, the curator will create meaningful ways that contribute to increased expanded audience profile that advances the Javett-UP’s local and global relevance.
The preferred candidate will be required to render services, which includes, but are not limited to the following:
· Work collaboratively with the Javett-UP’s Curatorial Director led Curatorial Team
· Conceptualise public engagement programmes from start to finish including monitoring and evaluation
· Build and sustain long-term relationships with organisations and contact groups of all ages, from varying socio-cultural profiles and levels of experience
· Draft, submit, coordinate and supervise seasonal public engagement calendar
· Coordinate and supervise all on-site and off-site public engagement events including set-up and take-down
· Write content and help communication/PR team to prepare and edit print and digital materials that promote, publicise, and interpret public engagement programmes
· Coordinate travel and accommodation arrangements for various collaborators
· Create, track, and manage programme budgets and attendance reports
· Generate quarterly reports for subcommittees as requested
· Supervise assistants, interns and volunteers for public engagement sub-department
· Develop analytical/evaluation tools for programmes
· Operate audio-visual equipment and technologies for programmes
· Support fundraising activities as requested
· Perform other related duties as assigned through the Curatorial Director
Completion of relevant post-graduate degree focusing in Museum Studies, Art History, Cultural studies, Artistic Education or equivalent
Experience working with contemporary art, artists and cultural producers
Minimum 5-year experience in developing and managing artistic programmes and events
Experience working with people from diverse perspectives
Excellent communication and writing skills
Be in touch with local and international networks related to the specific fields of work
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
· Strong administration and coordination skills
· Excellent research skills
· Ability to work independently and deliver work within agreed timeframes
· Effective problem-solving skills
· Flexibility when schedule requires it
· Competent computer skills including the use of Microsoft Office applications, email services and the internet as well as a willingness to learn new digital skills and software
· Passionate and knowledgeable about contemporary culture from Africa and the diaspora
· A good knowledge of world Art Histories and African Art Histories in particular
· Knowing more than three languages is an advantage
· A willingness to further studies
· A driver’s licence and own vehicle will be an additional benefit
Qualifying candidates are requested to submit applications to [email protected] Please quote this Job Title in the subject of your email.
In applying for this post, please attach:
A concise relevant CV
Concise letter of application expressing interest in the job based on knowledge and experience
Certified copies of qualifications
Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 23 September 2021 at 12h00
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Alicia Quiggin, [email protected] for application-related enquiries, and Gabi Ngcobo [email protected] for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the Javett-UP by 01 December 2021 please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The Javett-UP is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The Javett-UP reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
For more information follow the link below:
Copyright © University of Pretoria 2023. All rights reserved.
COVID-19 Corona Virus South African Resource Portal
To contact the University during the COVID-19 lockdown, please send an email to [email protected]
Get Social With Us
Download the UP Mobile App