On 20 January 2020, a notice was published on the University of Pretoria (UP) website to inform students of the new NSFAS allowances for 2020.
In line with instructions contained in a letter from the Director-General in the Department of Higher Education, Science and Technology (DHET) on 20 January 2020, UP will, for the 2020 academic year, implement a verification process for NSFAS students living in private accommodation that is not accredited by the University.
Registration and Verification of Private Accommodation
It is important to note that the following provisions will apply to the verification process:
- It is only open to lease agreements entered into before or on 20 January 2020.
- It is only available to students whose home address is 10km or more away from the rental address.
- It is valid for the current academic year (2020) only and does not constitute accreditation by the University.
- From 2021, students are expected to use only UP-managed, UP-leased or accredited accommodation.
- It does not guarantee that the University will pay out the amount, as it is subject to NSFAS discretion.
Process to be followed:
- Students must collect a declaration form from the Hillcrest campus or print a copy from ClickUP. The declaration form must be completed by the student and the landlord.
- The student and the landlord must make the declaration in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths and have the declaration signed and stamped.
- The student must then apply for the payout of the accommodation allowance when the process opens, and upload the following required documents:
- Lease agreement;
- Copy of the landlord’s ID;
- Confirmation of the landlord’s banking details;
- Sworn declaration by the student;
- Sworn declaration by the landlord;
- Proof of the landlord’s ownership of the property;
- Where applicable, a signed agreement between agent and landlord to act on behalf of landlord.
- Once the documents have been uploaded, the Financial Aid Office will verify the documents and refer documents that may require additional verification to Legal Services. Once the documents have been verified and approved, the accommodation allowance will be paid directly to the landlord.
- A register will be kept of all private accommodation that is verified in 2020.
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].
Students who have experienced delays when calling the number provided in previous communications are asked to please go to the Hillcrest Campus registration centre for help, or send your queries to the email address above.
READ: Important changes to NSFAS rules and allowances