The University of Pretoria (UP) is proud to announce that nine of its researchers have made it to the finals of the National Science and Technology Foundation (NSTF) 2018/2019 Awards. The finalists have been selected from 21 of UP’s researchers who were nominated for 22 awards this year. The NSTF Awards event is the flagship project of the National Science and Technology Forum (NSTF), in partnership with global mining company South32.
The awards honour and celebrate outstanding contributions to science, engineering and technology (SET), and innovation. Their aim is to recognise professional, innovative research that helps to provide solutions to the challenges of South Africa’s socio-economic growth in a sustainable manner in order to improve people’s lives. The theme for 2019 is in keeping with the United Nations’ declaration of this year as the International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements.
The NSTF Special Annual Theme Award will recognise a contribution made in regard to materials for inclusive economic development. Professor Stephanie Burton, Vice-Principal of Research and Postgraduate Education at UP, said: “The University of Pretoria is extremely proud of the research done by its academics and the deep impact that their research has on changing people’s lives and transforming society.”
UP’s 2019 finalists in the various categories are:
Contribution over a lifetime
1. Prof Robin Crewe, Senior Research Fellow: Centre for the Advancement of Scholarship
2. Prof Xiaohua Xia, Professor in the Department of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering
TW Kambule- NSTF Awards: Researchers
1. Prof Serena Coetzee, Professor and Head of the Department of Geography, Geo-informatics and Meteorology and Director: Centre for Geo-Information Science.
2. Prof André Ganswindt, Professor and Director: Mammal Research Institute in the Department of Zoology and Entomology.
3. Dr Thomas Ebenhan, Research Fellow in the Department of Nuclear Medicine and Acting Manager of NuMeRI, Pre-clinical Imaging Facility.
TW Kambule-NSTF Awards: Emerging Researchers
1. Dr Mardé Helbig, Senior Lecturer in the Department of Computer Science.
2. Prof Eshchar Mizrachi, Associate Professor in the Department of Biochemistry, Genetics and Microbiology and Forestry and Agricultural Biotechnology Institute.
Contribution through management and related SET activities
Prof Robin Crewe, Senior Research Fellow: Centre for the Advancement of Scholarship, UP.
Marion Island Marine Mammal Programme, led by team leader, Prof Nico de Bruyn: Associate Professor at the Department of Zoology and Entomology.
The winners will be announced at the NSTF Awards function, to be held on 27 June 2019. UP extends its congratulations to all the nominated researchers, and especially those who have made it to the 2018/2019 finals.