The Fellowship is an annual grant of R25,000 which is awarded to an outstanding postgraduate student in the research field of microelectronics. At the University of Pretoria, this endeavour is carried out by the Carl and Emily Fuchs Institute for Microelectronics (CEFIM), a research centre of the Department of Electrical, Electronic & Computer Engineering.
For a student to be considered for this award he/she must be registered for:
- BEng (Hons): Microelectronic Eng., or
- MEng/MSc: Microelectronic Eng., or
- PhD: Electronic Eng. / PhD: Electronics
Diverse criteria are used, which include:
- academic excellence in the previous year of postgraduate study,
- number of accepted papers in international peer-reviewed conferences,
- number of papers submitted and accepted to accredited journals,
- active participation in CEFIM project meetings / colloquiums,
- registered for a CEFIM designated postgraduate research programme,
- leadership, in general, and
- dedication (in general, e.g. co-leading final year undergraduate projects in the previous year, arranging CEFIM socials, etc)
The grant can be split up equally (R12,500 x 2) should we find that we have two students that are equally suitable. This was the case in 2009, where the evaluation committee approved both Marius Goosen and Marnus Weststrate as recipients for the award. The students received the award at an internal social function held at CEFIM on 16 April 2009.
We wish to thank the Carl and Emily Fuchs Foundation for sponsoring this new fellowship.
From left to right:
Prof. Wilhelm Leuschner, Head: Department of Electrical, Electronic & Computer Engineering
Prof. Monuko du Plessis, Director: Carl and Emily Fuchs Institute for Microelectronics
Marnus Weststrate, Recipient: Carl and Emily Fuchs Foundation Fellowship (2009)
Prof. Roelf Sandenbergh, Dean: Faculty of Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology
Marius Goosen, Recipient: Carl and Emily Fuchs Foundation Fellowship (2009)
Dr Saurabh Sinha, Study Supervisor of Marius Goosen and Marnus Weststrate