Also refer to General Academic Regulations G30-G41.
The MDiv builds on the BDiv programme or the previously four year BTh programme. It is a coursework master’s degree programme in general theology covering all six theological disciplines. It aims to offer advanced theological knowledge and practical skills that will meet the needs of the ministry of the Word.
- BThHons degree or four-year BDiv degree or relevant qualification on at least NQF-level 8
- Greek and Hebrew passed at second-year level
Examinations and pass requirements
- A master's degree is conferred on a student by virtue of an examination, or an examination and a dissertation, or an examination and a mini-dissertation.
- These examinations can be written or oral.
- A subminimum of 50% is required in the examination. At least 50% is required as a pass mark for the mini-dissertation or dissertation.
- The stipulations of G39 regarding pass requirements for dissertations apply with the necessary changes to mini-dissertations.
- Mini-dissertations are evaluated and examined in accordance with the stipulations set out in a study guide, which is available on request from the various departments.
The proposed title of the mini-dissertation must be submitted for approval to the Research Committee via the Supervisor and the relevant head of department before a student may commence with the research.
Also refer to General Academic Regulation G39.13.
Article for publication
- Unless Senate, on the recommendation of the supervisor, decides otherwise, a student, before or on submission of a dissertation, must submit at least one draft article for publication in a recognised academic journal and in the case of a thesis, must submit proof of submission of an article issued by an accredited journal, to the Head: Student Administration.
- The draft or submitted article, should be based on the research that the student has conducted for the dissertation and be approved by the supervisor if the supervisor is not a co-author.
- The supervisor shall be responsible for ensuring that the paper is taken through all the processes of revision and resubmission, as may be necessary. Conferment of the degree may be made subject to compliance with the stipulations of this regulation.
Pass with distinction
In order to pass with distinction, a weighted average (GPA) (not rounded) of at least 75% in the examination of the coursework and 75% for the mini-dissertation must be obtained.