There will not be an intake of new students for each degree every year. It remains the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the degree they wish to apply for, will indeed be offered.
- Relevant Honours degree with an average of at least 65%.
- A candidate may be refused admission to a master’s degree by the head of the department if he/she does not comply with the standard of competence in the subject as determined by the department – a candidate who does not comply with the required level of competence, may be admitted, provided that he/she completes additional study assignments and/or examinations as set by the department.
- The head of department concerned may set additional admission requirements.
- Specific departments have specific requirements for admission.
- The number of students will be determined in line with the growth strategy of the University of Pretoria as approved by the Executive.
- Allowance will be made for the diversity profile of students.
Other programme-specific information
The degree programme must be completed within two years after the first registration.
Examinations and pass requirements
The pass mark for both a dissertation and a mini-dissertation is 50%. The provisions regarding pass requirements for dissertations, contained in General Academic Regulation G36, apply with the necessary changes to mini-dissertations.
A pass mark of at least 50% is required in the examination of each module.
Dissertations/mini-dissertations, curricula and modules
Refer to General Academic Regulations G37, G38 and G39.
The degree programme requires that a dissertation be submitted in a field of study selected from the fields covered in the honours degree.
Information on modules, credits and syllabi is available, on request, from the relevant head of department/Postgraduate Committee.
A module in Research Methodology is compulsory in all programmes. The Dean may, on the recommendation of the relevant head of department/Postgraduate Committee, waive the prerequisites.
Article for publication
Refer to General Academic Regulation G39.13.