- Applicants must be able to demonstrate sufficient computer literacy that will be assessed, or must have a recognised Information Technology qualification which meets this need.
- Applicants must have access to Internet Communications infrastructure.
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university
level 6 Diploma in an Educational Field (at least 360 credits)
three-year professional qualification and appropriate prior learning deemed adequate by the Advanced Diploma Selection Committee, for admission to the programme
- Computer literacy proficiency as determined by a proficiency test
recognised Information Technology qualification
- access to Internet Communications infrastructure
Recognition of prior learning (RPL)
- In line with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA), institutional guidelines and policies, RPL may be awarded for a maximum of 50% of the credits for the programme based on appropriate assessment of evidence of competence related to the programme and module outcomes.
- It should be noted that while there is extensive overlap between the former Advanced Certificate in Education (Education Management), and the new Advanced Diploma (SLM), these qualifications are at two different NQF levels and therefore an RPL process will be required to gain credit for the former to a maximum of 50% of the latter.
- Students who possess the ACE (Educational management) (or equivalent) register for the module PFO 335. On successful completion, the modules EDM 331, EDO 330, ELP 330 and PFO 335 of the Advanced Diploma will be credited for a total of 60 credits.
Examinations and pass requirements
Special examinations in the Faculty of Education
A final-year student who has failed a maximum of three semester modules or their equivalent with a final mark of at least 40% in each, may be admitted by the Dean to a special examination in these modules during January of the following year, provided that this will enable the student to comply with all the requirements for the postgraduate diploma.
Pass with distinction
Diploma with distinction
The advanced diploma is awarded with distinction to a student who has obtained a credit weighted average (GPA) of at least 75%.