Are you interested in studying toward a BCom degree, but are undecided about which major to select? If the fixed curricula offered by specialist degrees do not meet your broad academic interests, then the general BCom degree could be the perfect qualification for you.
For more information, please consult the Faculty webpage.
- Disclaimer: This publication contains information about regulations and programmes of the University of Pretoria. Amendments to or updating of the information may be effected from time to time without prior notification. The accuracy, correctness or validity of the information contained here is therefore not guaranteed by the University at any given time and is always subject to verification. The user is kindly requested to verify the correctness of the information with the University at all times. Failure to do so will not give rise to any claim or action of any nature against the University by any party whatsoever.
The degree does not lead to a specific vocational outcome, but offers opportunities to determine your own career outcome, within limits. Students are able to compile their own curricula with a view to work opportunities in all sectors.
- The closing date is an administrative admission guideline for non-selection programmes. Once a non-selection programme is full and has reached the institutional targets, then that programme will be closed for further admissions, irrespective of the closing date. However, if the institutional targets have not been met by the closing date, then that programme will remain open for admissions until the institutional targets are met.
- The following persons will be considered for admission: Candidates who are in possession of a certificate that is deemed by the University to be equivalent to the National Senior Certificate (NSC) with admission to bachelor’s degree studies; candidates who are graduates from other tertiary institutions or have been granted the status of graduates of such institutions; and candidates who are graduates of another faculty at the University of Pretoria.
- Life Orientation is excluded when calculating the APS.
Candidates previously registered for the BCom — Extended programme
The Admissions Committee of the faculty considers applications of candidates who were previously registered for the BCom — Extended programme according to specific guidelines as stipulated in the Transfer Guide of the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences as published on the EMS Faculty website.
Candidates previously registered at UP or at another university
The Admissions Committee of the faculty considers applications of candidates who have already completed the final NSC or equivalent qualification and/or were previously registered at UP or at another university according to specific guidelines as stipulated in the Transfer Guide of the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences as published on the EMS Faculty website. A complete academic record, as well as the final school leaving results, are required for such applications.
NB: Candidates who are still registered at another university must submit an academic record of their studies to the faculty as soon as possible after their final examinations. The closing date for these applications is 30 September.
Qualifications from countries other than South Africa
- Citizens from countries other than South Africa and South African citizens with foreign qualifications must comply with all the other admission requirements and the prerequisites for subjects/modules.
- In addition to meeting the admission requirements, it may be expected from candidates to write the SAT, if required.
- Candidates must have completed the National Senior Certificate with admission to degree studies or a certificate of conditional exemption on the basis of a candidate’s foreign qualifications, the so-called “Immigrant” or “Foreign Conditional Exemption”. The only condition for the “Foreign Conditional Exemption” that is accepted is: ‘completion of the degree course’. The exemption certificate is obtainable from Universities South Africa (USAf). Detailed information is available on the website at click here
University of Pretoria website: click here
English Home Language or English First Additional Language
* Cambridge A level candidates who obtained at least a D and International Baccalaureate (IB) HL candidates who obtained at least a 4 in the required subjects, will be considered for admission.
Note: Accountancy is not a subject requirement for any of the BCom or BAdmin programmes.
3 years, full-time.
The Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences aspires to be at the cutting edge of economic, financial and management education, as well as research and community engagement within the national, African and global context. Our mission is to advance relevant knowledge and develop employable, innovative and diverse graduates to co-create value for society.