On 28 January 2021, we are celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Data Protection Convention 108 with African privacy and data protection stakeholders.
African regulators and civil society representatives will inform the participants on latest developments at national, regional and international level and will touch upon the advantages of Convention 108 for African countries. The evolution of Convention 108 into the ‘modernised’ Convention 108+ adds a new dimension to international data flows and cooperation between data protection authorities, and will also be addressed.
Data Protection Day 2021 in Africa
Thursday 28 January 2021
11:00 GMT / 12:00 WAT / 13:00 SAST / 14:00 EAT
Click here to join
No registration required / just follow this link to connect on Bluejeans
Speakers will share about the jurisdictional updates and discuss the following questions:
- What advantages (or disadvantages) would involvement in the Convention bring?
- What does the Convention mean in a post Schrems II era for relationships between the EU (and the GDPR) and African countries?
- How could Convention 108 contribute to relationships between African countries and how does it relate to other regional frameworks on data protection?
- Sophie Kwasny
Head, Data Protection Unit, Council of Europe
- Frans Viljoen
Professor of International Human Rights Law and Director, Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria
- Hlengiwe Dube
Manager, Expression Information and Digital Rights Unit, Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria
- Pat Walshe
Executive Director, Privacy Matters
- Patricia Adusei Poku
Ghana, Executive Director of the Data Protection Commission
- Immaculate Kassait
Kenya, Data Protection Commissioner
- Drudeisha Madhub
Mauritius, Privacy Commissioner
- Omar Seghrouchni
Morocco, Data Protection and Access to Information Commissioner Secretary General, African Network of Data Protection Authorities
- Sizwe Snail
South Africa, Commissioner of the Information Regulator
- To submit questions in advance, please contact us at data.protection[at]coe.int.
- Questions will be accepted live during the event via the online platform Q&A feature.