- Subject to the stipulations of the General Academic Regulation G42, a master's degree is required for admission to studies for a PhD.
- A PhD student must submit a thesis which deals with a topic from the list of subject disciplines and research focus areas as stipulated by the relevant Department.
- Unless otherwise decided by the Dean, on the recommendation of the supervisor, the PhD degree is awarded on the basis of a thesis. An oral examination may be required at the request of the external examiners, or the dean, on the recommendation of the head of department.
- Unless the Senate, on the recommendation of the supervisor, decides otherwise, a student, before or on submission of a thesis, must submit proof of submission of an article issued by an accredited journal, to the Head: Student Administration. The submitted article should be based on the research that the student has conducted for the thesis and be approved by the supervisor if the supervisor is not a co-author. The supervisor shall be responsible for ensuring that the paper is taken through all the processes of revision and resubmission, as may be necessary. Conferment of the degree may be made subject to compliance with the stipulations of this regulation.
- The student must provide proof by means of their work, thesis and examination of advanced original research and/or creative work which makes a real and substantial contribution to the knowledge and/ or practice of the discipline.
Refer also to G42 – G55.
- Relevant master’s degree
- Research methodology passed at master’s level
- An intellectual CV with specific reference to research or creative output and publications
Candidates in possession of a master’s degree by coursework may, at the discretion of the relevant head of department, be required to do supplementary coursework prior to commencing studies.
Examinations and pass requirements
The doctoral examination, either written or oral, is compulsory, and encompasses the content of the thesis as well as the field of study on which the thesis is based.
Get Social With Us
Download the UP Mobile App