The following requirements are set:
- Advanced instruction by means of self-tuition, lectures and seminars.
- Students must pass the module TNM 700 Applied research methodology 700.
- Students must pass the module PHM 770 Learning in public health 770.
- Students must pass a research report (or project) that carries at least 30 credits.
- A bachelor's degree deemed acceptable by the head of department for the proposed field of study or an equivalent qualification deemed acceptable by the Senate of the University for the proposed field of study.
- At least one applicable biological subject as major subject.
- Admission is subject to the approval of the head of department: with the proviso that a candidate who has obtained an average of less than 60% in the modules of his or her major subject in the final year of the bachelor's degree study may be admitted only with the Dean's approval on the recommendation of the head of department.
- Additional requirements may be set by the head of department.
Examinations and pass requirements
- The individual modules in each field of study must all be passed with a mark of at least 50% in each module, before a student may graduate in that field of study.
- Each field of study has a specified, externally moderated, summative assessment that must also be passed before the student may graduate.
Pass with distinction
The degree is conferred with distinction on a student who has obtained an average of at least 75% in the summative assessment, as well as an average of at least 75% for the remaining components of the curriculum (i.e. excluding the summative assessment mark).