Hierdie inligting is slegs in Engels beskikbaar.
Details of compilation of curriculum are available from the Head of the Department of Statistics as well as from the departmental postgraduate brochure.
A candidate must compile his/her curriculum in consultation with the head of department or his representative. It is also possible to include postgraduate modules from other departments. Refer to the Departmental website for further information.
Renewal of registration
- Subject to exceptions approved by the Dean, on the recommendation of the head of department, and in the case of distance education where the Dean formulates the stipulations that will apply, a student may not sit for an examination for the honours degree more than twice in the same module.
- A student for an honours degree must complete his or her study, in the case of full-time students, within two years and, in the case of after-hours students, within three years of first registering for the degree and, in the case of distance education students, within the period stipulated by the Dean. Under special circumstances, the Dean, on the recommendation of the head of department, may give approval for a limited extension of this period.
In calculating marks, General Regulation G.12.2 applies.
Apart from the prescribed coursework, a research project is an integral part of the study.
- A relevant bachelor's degree with Mathematical Statistics on the 300-level is required.
- For BScHons in Mathematical Statistics, an average mark of 65% or more
(i) in Mathematical statistics on the 300-level or
(ii) in an equivalent statistical module(s) at an accredited institution is required.
- In addition to passing of the core modules, WST 312 is also required as prerequisite for BScHons and BComHons in Mathematical Statistics.
- Students from other accredited institutions must comply with the same requirements based on equivalent modules at their institutions. In addition, students from other accredited institutions must also pass an entrance evaluation.
- Student numbers are limited to a maximum of 40, collectively over all honours programmes in the Department of Statistics. Selection is based on performance in the prior degree, conditional on ii and iii above.
- Historical performance during prior studies will also be considered in selecting students. Specific attention will be given to modules repeated and duration of study.
- Any additional entrance requirements as specified by the head of department in consultation with the departmental postgraduate selection committee.
- International qualifications have to be evaluated by SAQA.
Bevordering tot volgende studiejaar
The progress of all honours candidates is monitored biannually by the postgraduate coordinator/head of department. A candidate’s study may be terminated if the progress is unsatisfactory or if the candidate is unable to finish his/her studies during the prescribed period.
Slaag met lof
The BScHons degree is awarded with distinction to a candidate who obtains a weighted average of at least 75% in all the prescribed modules and a minimum of 65% in any one module.