The following requirements are set for completing the programme:
- Advanced instruction by means of self-tuition and four compulsory seminars of which at least one must be read to and defended before the department in question, on topics assigned to the student.
- Practical experience of the laboratory techniques used in the particular subsections of the subject.
- Attendance at the compulsory faculty module (TNM 700) Applied research methodology 700.
- Successful completion of the prescribed module (MBS 700) Medical biostatistics 700.
- Taking part in a research project and presentation of an independent research report.
- Satisfactory attendance at a library-user course.
- Relevant bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree with at least one applicable biological subject as a major
- A weighted average of at least 60% at final-year level
The prerequisites for admission to the honours degree in certain fields of study are indicated in the syllabuses of the specific department.
Also consult General Regulations.
Other programme-specific information
Modules to be taken in the Department of Physics, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences:
- FSK 710 Mathematical methods 710
- FSK 711 Classical dynamics 711
- FSK 713 Quantum mechanics 713
- FSK 714 Electrodynamics 714
Modules to be taken in the School of Medicine:
- GNF 700 Medical physics: Practical work 700
- GNF 701 Medical physics: Nuclear medicine 701
- GNF 702 Medical physics: Diagnostic radiology 702
- GNF 703 Medical physics: Radiation physics 703
- GNF 704 Medical physics: Radiotherapy 704
- GNF 705 Medical physics: Radiation protection 705
Examinations and pass requirements
- The examination at the end of the programme will consist of two written papers of three hours each as well as an oral examination of 30 minutes.
- For the field of specialisation Medical Physics, one examination of three hours is required in each of the theoretical modules. The mark awarded to the practical work will also be taken into account when the final mark is calculated.
- To comply with the pass requirements for the degree, a student must obtain a final mark of at least 50% in each division as indicated, as well as a pass mark of at least 50% for the essay/work assignment (if applicable). The stipulations regarding pass requirements for dissertations in the General Regulations apply mutatis mutandis to essays.
- Also consult General Regulation G.18 regarding Renewal of registration.
Pass with distinction
The degree is conferred with distinction on a student who has obtained an average of at least 75% in the examination (written, oral, practical, etc).