The Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences' vision, mission and values is aligned with that of the University of Pretoria.
To be a leading research‐intensive university in Africa, recognised internationally for its quality, relevance and impact, as also for developing people, creating knowledge and making a difference locally and globally.
In pursuing recognition and excellence in its core functions of research, teaching and learning, and integrating engagement with society and communities into these, the University of Pretoria will use quality, relevance, diversity and sustainability as its navigational markers.
The members of the University of Pretoria believe that:
- our community of scholars must be founded on the pursuit of knowledge through research, teaching and learning, with membership acquired on the basis of intellectual merit, ability and the potential for excellence; and that
- differing perspectives, arising from diverse backgrounds and histories that define our identities, deepen scholarly inquiry and enrich academic debate.
- We cherish:
- academic freedom, creative and innovative thought, ethical standards and integrity, accountability and social justice; and
- our staff and students as the University’s core asset.
- We foster:
- an inquiry‐led and evidence‐based approach to creating knowledge; and
- academic citizenship, whereby we commit ourselves to harnessing our intellectual abilities in the interest of our nation and humanity.
- We recognise that:
- in a resource‐constrained world where vast disparities remain, the University must endeavour to produce graduates who appreciate the importance of community service, entrepreneurial endeavours and innovative actions in generating employment and development in our local communities.