Teaching and learning at the University of Pretoria are regarded as core importance to the academic enterprise. This is reflected in the manner in which the Executive portfolios are structured, the range of faculties at the University, the strategic planning practices and the range of services supporting academic staff and students.
This Faculty aims to continuously refine instructional practices in order to present graduates with appropriate attributes to enter the workplace as highly skilled professionals, or to undertake postgraduate research in a research-intensive university.
The University of Pretoria has set itself the strategic goal to achieve excellence in teaching and learning, benchmarked against international research-intensive universities. To achieve this goal, research focusing on tertiary mathematics and science education should become an integral part of research activities in the Faculty. This will ensure that our teaching practice is informed by international best practices that have been rigorously scrutinised and proven to be relevant and suitable to our context.
The following underpins teaching and learning at the University of Pretoria:
• The education principles;
• The governance of teaching and learning;
• Programme design and curriculum development;
• Student support that ranges from lecturing guidelines, study guides, mentoring of students to services provided by the Office of the Dean of Students;
• The languages of tuition;
• Assessment policy and practices;
• Continuous monitoring of study success and associated interventions;
• Quality of and support for teaching staff;
• A range of quality assurance mechanisms for teaching and learning;
• The student-lecturer ratio;
• Physical facilities.
Copyright © University of Pretoria 2023. All rights reserved.
COVID-19 Corona Virus South African Resource Portal
To contact the University during the COVID-19 lockdown, please send an email to [email protected]
Get Social With Us
Download the UP Mobile App