Important Application information
- Do you meet the admission requirements? (see below)
- Read through the Guidelines for Master's and Doctoral Applications. Please follow these guidelines carefully, especially in terms of the requirements of the abstract, and the steps following thereafter.
- Determine your Research Focus Area (list includes the names of supervisors)
- When applying ALSO submit an abstract on the proposed research idea of approximately 800 to 1200 words (see above-mentioned Guidelines for Master's and Doctoral Applications).
- ALL Masters and Doctoral students, please consult the EBIT Postgraduate Lifecycle for information on all the administration processes during your studies as well as the forms that are needed to be handed in during the different phases of your studies. Please note that The Faculty life cycle specifies that you should identify and contact a potential supervisor. You are encouraged to identify a potential supervisor and fill this in on the application form, however you should NOT contact the potential supervisor at this stage, as a supervisor is allocated by our departmental Research Committee, based on a number of criteria.
UP Student Contract outstanding?
Due to covid-19 restrictions, clients are not allowed onto campus yet.
But there are FOUR contract drop off boxes available with security at the University Road, Roper Road, Prospect Street and Lunnon Road entrances of the Hatfield campus.
Students can also post or courier the contracts to UP.
The postal address is:
University of Pretoria
Private Bag X20
The physical address is:
University of Pretoria
For more information on how to Complete your UP Student Contract, click here.
Master's Programmes offered in Research
MIS specializing in LIBRARY SCIENCE (Code 12254009)
Curriculum: Dissertation: Library Science 890 (BIB 890) – Credits: 180
MIS specializing in INFORMATION SCIENCE (Code 12254010)
Curriculum: Dissertation: Information Science 890 (INL 890) – Credits: 180
MIS specializing in MULTIMEDIA (Code 12254011)
Curriculum: Dissertation: Multimedia 890 (IMY 890) - Credits: 180.00
MIS specializing in PUBLISHING (Code 12254012)
Curriculum: Dissertation: Publishing 890 (PUB 890) – Credits: 180
Admission requirements for MIS Programmes
- A cumulative weighted average of at least 65% for any of the following honours degrees: BIS Hons Library Science/Information Science/Multimedia/ Publishing degree/ any equivalent honours degree ; or a cumulative weighted average of at least 65% for any of the following master’s degrees: MA (Development Communication / any equivalent master’s degree.
- The departmental Postgraduate Committee reserves the right to make a thorough assessment of the applicant's academic transcript and the abstract of approximately 800 to 1200 words on the proposed Research focus area/idea to decide if the applicant is suitable for postgraduate studies.
Additional requirements and programme-specific information
- Consult G Regulations G.30 to G.40 and G.54.
- The Dean may, in exceptional cases, and on the recommendation of the relevant head of department, approve a fixed limited extension of the period of study.
EBIT Faculty Administration
- Masters by research: Mrs Stefanie Steenberg, Eng 1, 6th Floor, Office 6-8, [email protected]
- Coursework Masters: Ms Hellen Molapo,Eng 1, 6th Floor, Office 6-5.1, [email protected]
- PhD's: Mr Kenneth Nkanyana, Eng 1, 6th Floor, Office 6-8.1, [email protected]