Important Application information
- Do you meet the admission requirements? (see below)
- Read through the Guidelines for Master's and Doctoral Applications. Please follow these guidelines carefully, especially in terms of the requirements of the abstract, and the steps following thereafter.
- Determine your Research Focus Area (list includes the names of supervisors)
- When applying ALSO submit an abstract on the proposed research idea of approximately 800 to 1200 words (see above-mentioned Guidelines for Master's and Doctoral Applications).
- ALL Masters and Doctoral students, please consult the EBIT Postgraduate Lifecycle for information on all the administration processes during your studies as well as the forms that are needed to be handed in during the different phases of your studies. Please note that The Faculty life cycle specifies that you should identify and contact a potential supervisor. You are encouraged to identify a potential supervisor and fill this in on the application form, however you should NOT contact the potential supervisor at this stage, as a supervisor is allocated by our departmental Research Committee, based on a number of criteria.
UP Student Contract outstanding?
Due to covid-19 restrictions, clients are not allowed onto campus yet.
But there are FOUR contract drop off boxes available with security at the University Road, Roper Road, Prospect Street and Lunnon Road entrances of the Hatfield campus.
Students can also post or courier the contracts to UP.
The postal address is:
University of Pretoria
Private Bag X20
The physical address is:
University of Pretoria
For more information on how to Complete your UP Student Contract, click here.
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY [PhD] (RESEARCH)
1. PhD Information Science (Code 12264005)
Curriculum: Thesis: Information Science 990 (INL 990) – Credits: 360
2. PhD Library Science (Code 12264006)
Curriculum: Thesis: Library Science 990 (BIB 990) – Credits: 360
3. PhD Publishing (Code 12264007)
Curriculum: Thesis: Publishing 990 (PUB 990) – Credits: 360
Admission requirements for the degrees listed above
- MIS degree in Information Science or MIS degree in Multimedia or MIS degree in Publishing or MA (Development Communication) degree or relevant master’s degree
The departmental Postgraduate Committee reserves the right to make a thorough assessment of the applicant's academic transcript and the abstract of approximately 800 to 1200 words on the proposed Research focus area/idea
to decide if the applicant is suitable for postgraduate studies.
4. PhD Information Technology (Code 12264010)
All students register for SIT 990 at registration. As soon as a supervisor has been assigned to a student, the student is moved to the module code which has been assigned to the corresponding department as set out below.
- SIT 990: Department of Informatics
- SIT 991: Department of Information Science specialising in Information Science
- SIT 992: Department of Computer Science
- SIT 993: Department of Information Science specialising in Multimedia
Curriculum: Thesis: Library Science 991 (SIT 991) – Credits: 360
Curriculum: Thesis:Multimedia 993 (SIT 993) – Credits: 360
Admission requirements for the PhD IT degree
- Master’s degree in Information Technology or master’s degree in Information Systems or master’s degree in Computer Science or master’s degree in Information Science or relevant master’s degree deemed applicable by the departmental Postgraduate Committee
- Minimum cumulative weighted average of at least 65% for all the modules
- Minimum of 65% for the mini-dissertation or the dissertation
Additional modules may be required in order to reach the desired level of competency.
The departmental Postgraduate Committee reserves the right to make a thorough assessment of the applicant's academic transcript and the abstract of approximately 800 to 1200 words on the proposed Research focus area/idea to decide if the applicant is suitable for postgraduate studies.
Consult G Regulations G.42 to G.54.
EBIT Faculty Administration
1. Masters by research: Mrs Stefanie Steenberg, Eng 1, 6th Floor, Office 6-8, [email protected]
2. Coursework Masters: Ms Hellen Molapo,Eng 1, 6th Floor, Office 6-5.1, [email protected]