Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q. Which residence do I apply for?

A.    As most study programmes are offered at the Hatfield Campus, you may apply for any of the residences at the Hatfield, Hillcrest or Groenkloof Campuses. Please see Residences to choose from here.

Please note:

  • If you have applied for a course in The Faculty of Health Sciences: If you are applying for a study program with the The Faculity of Health Sciences you are considered for residence placement on Hatfield, Hillcrest or Groenkloof campuses. As soon as you are selected for a Health Science course, you will be transferred to a Prinshof campus residence, subject to availability. Should you not be selected for a Health Science related course and request to be considered for another course, you have then already been considered for a residence at Hatfield, Hillcrest or Groenkloof campus.


  • If you have applied for a course in The Faculty of Education: Students studying Education are accommodated in a residence on the Groenkloof Campus.


  • If you have applied for a course in The Faculty of Veterinary Sciences: Students applying for an undergraduate Bachelor of Veterinary Science will be considered for accommodation at the Hatfield Campus for the first year of study. Students may apply for residence placement at Onderstepoort residence only from the second year of study onwards. Students applying for a Diploma in Veterinary Nursing will be considered for placement at Onderstepoort residence once admitted to the program.


Q.    How will I know once a place has been allocated to me?

A.    A placement letter is generated to the email address provided upon application with relevant details of the placement, reservation levy, etc. This placement letter is also available on your UP Student Portal.


Q.    I have been wait listed for placement, what should I do?

A.    Should the residence be full at the time of application, you will automatically be placed on the waiting list for residences according to academic merit (Grade 11 or 12 marks) and date of application.

    As cancellations are received, students are placed from the waiting list on a continuous basis.


Q.    What happens if I don’t get a place in my residence of choice?

A.    As the places are limited, it is not always possible to offer every student a place in the specific residence they applied for. If you really feel that you want to be placed in another residence than the one that was allocated to you, please email us a letter of motivation stating the reasons why you want to change. If cancellations are received, each case will be considered on merit. The request can unfortunately not be guaranteed.


Q.    Do I need to pay a reservation fee if I have been placed in a residence?

A.    A prescribed reservation levy is payable within 30 days from the date of your placement letter, so as to reserve your residence place. This payment is an initial payment of the annual accommodation fees.

If you fail to pay this levy within 30 days, your place will be cancelled and allocated to the next person on the waiting list.


Q.    How do I accept the placement that is allocated to me?

A.    You must ACCEPT your residence placement on your UP Student Portal as well as pay the required reservation levy. If you fail to pay this levy within 30 days, your place will be cancelled and allocated to the next person on the waiting list. Should you not be able to pay the full reservation levy within the time limit, please contact us to consider a financial arrangement.


Q.    How do I CANCEL the placement that is allocated to me?

A.    If you decide not to take up your placement in the residence you may:

  • Reject the placement on your student portal OR 
  • Send an email to the relevant email.

NB: Telephonic cancellations will not be accepted.


Q.    I would like a single room?

A.    Due to the limited number of single rooms available in residences, the larger proportion of first-year students and several senior students are accommodated in double rooms. You will be provided with your room number on arrival.


Q.    What should I bring with me when I move into res?

A.    Each room is equipped with the following: a bed, mattress, bookcase, desk, chair, cupboard (shelves and hanging space) and a mirror.

Items you may have in your room: personal crockery and cutlery, fan heater, radio, kettle, computer and printer, microwave and fridge.

Items you may not have in your room: stoves of any kind, electric frying pan, gas fryers, open bar/element heaters, an electric sandwich maker and any object, chemical or equipment deemed dangerous to yourself or others.

Because we genuinely care about the well-being of our students in res, we are very strict if you are found in possession of any of the prohibited items. The item/s will be confiscated and it could lead to a disciplinary hearing.


Q.    When do I move into residence?

A.    The initial occupation date will be communicated to you in your official placement letter. Please take note that if you fail to move in on the communicated dates, your placement will be cancelled and allocated to the next student on the waiting list.


Q.    How do residence meals work?

A.    Accommodation and meal fees are revised annually. The University has a computer system which enables students in residences to make reservations for meals and to pay only for meals reserved. The University levies basic accommodation fees from which an amount is reserved on computer for meals that are reserved and taken at a fixed rate. When the credit has been depleted, you will have to deposit an additional amount for further meals. Should you have a credit on your meals at the end of the year, the amount will be credited to your student account.


Q.    Parking arrangements?

A.    You may apply for parking facilities at your residence with the relevant House Committee memberupon arrival.


Q.    Why do I have to move out during holidays and what is the process of applying for holiday accommodation?

A.    Residence students are expected to vacate their rooms and remove their belongings during the April and July holiday periods as residences are utilised for guests/groups during these periods. Storage facilities will be provided and will be at own risk. The University will not be liable for any losses.

Only students who need to stay during holidays for academic purposes or unable to go home (eg international students) may apply for holiday accommodation. A daily fee will be charged and will be debited on the student account. The holiday accommodation students are accommodated in a specific allocated residence for the holiday period.


Q.     Once I am staying in the residence, how do I keep my place in my second year?

A.     Renewal of residence place for the following year is based on academic merit. The average of the first semester is calculated for the renewal of place for the following year. It is thus of the utmost importance to perform academically as from the first semester.

As the demand is far greater than the places available, only students with the highest averages are placed to fill the senior capacity in the residence and the rest are placed on a waiting list.

Students on the waiting list are placed on a continuous basis as cancellations are received.

The cut-off average for placement for the following year differs from year to year, from residence to residence and the cut-off average varies from 60% to 65% or higher. 

The residence placement policy is subject to change from time to time. Students and parents will receive an information letter during April/May regarding the renewal of place for the following year.


Q.    If I stay in a residence and I have applied for an honours programme for the following year can I apply for a postgraduate residence?

A.    You must re-apply for your current residence and can contact us to request a transfer once the admission for the honours programme is finalised. You will then be added to the waiting list for a postgraduate residence as placement is not automatic. Placement is subject to availability and the earlier your application date the better your chances, as the demand is higher than the capacity.

Copyright © University of Pretoria 2023. All rights reserved.

COVID-19 Corona Virus South African Resource Portal

To contact the University during the COVID-19 lockdown, please send an email to [email protected]

FAQ's Email Us Virtual Campus Share Cookie Preferences