Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

1. What is the difference between an Initiation Programme and an Orientation Programme?

According to “Initiation” is “the form or ceremony by which a person is introduced into any society; mode of entrance into an organised body; especially, the rite of admission into a secret society or order”. “Orientation” is “an introduction, as to guide one in adjusting to new surroundings, activity, etc. In our residences, we orientate first year students to adapt to a new living environment.


2. Is there a balance between academic and residence/student life?

Yes, there definitely is a balance and only you can establish that balance. It will be expected of you to take part in certain activities for your residence. But, always keep in mind that nothing is compulsory and in the end you are here to obtain a degree.


3. What kind of support can I, as a first year student, expect from the University?

As a student at the University of Pretoria there are various avenues of support, depending on what the problem might be. To name but a few:

  • UP 24-hour Operational Management Centre: they can be called for anything and, if they cannot help, they will refer you to the relevant people.
  • UP Student Support: they offer the following services: 24-hour crisis line, emotional, academic and spiritual support, student health and the unit for students with special needs.
  • The Coordinator: Student Support – Residences is specifically available to residence students to offer support and help you make sense of your worries.


4. What activities are available?

Living in a residence will introduce you to all the activities that the University has to offer. You can join STUKU (Culture Committee), the Rag Committee, take part in a number of sport and other recreational activities, join one of the choirs, work as a journalist for Perdeby (the campus student newspaper) or apply to become a DJ on TuksFM. These are only a few of the activities on offer.


5. What is the difference between a formal and an informal residence?

Apart from the post-graduate residences, there is only one informal residence on our Hatfield Campus, namely TuksVillage. Living in TuksVillage means that you will not take part in RAG, culture and sport activities as a specific residence group. At all the other (formal) residences it might be expected of you to take part in student activities for your residence.


6. How will I go about eating at my residence?

All residences have a dining hall in or close to the residence. Meals are served seven days a week. As an added bonus cold drinks and other snack items are also available in the dining halls. All these meals and additional items can be purchased using your pre-loaded student card.


7. What can I bring with me when I move into a residence?

Each room in the residence is equipped with the following: bed, mattress, bookcase, desk, chair, cupboard (with shelves and hanging spaces) and a mirror.
Take Note: Only a 91cm size bed is allowed in rooms. The placement of a bigger size bed will only be considered by TuksRes due to health reasons and on receipt of a letter of recommendation from a health practitioner.

Items students may have in their rooms:

  • Personal crockery and cutlery
  • Own curtains (a curtain rail is installed in each room)
  • Fan heater or a 7-fin oil heater
  • Radio
  • Reading lamp
  • Ironing board and electric iron
  • Kettle with 1.5l capacity
  • Two slice pop-up toaster
  • Computer and printer
  • Microwave (max. 23l)
  • Fridge (max. 120l)

Items students may not have in their rooms:

  • Stoves of any kind
  • Electric frying pan
  • Gas fryers
  • Open bar/element heaters
  • Air conditioning
  • “Snackwich”/electric sandwich maker
Published by Craig Chisasa

Copyright © University of Pretoria 2021. All rights reserved.

FAQ's Email Us Virtual Campus Share Cookie Preferences