The Faculty of Theology and Religion at the University of Pretoria is the largest of its kind in South Africa and as a faculty also the oldest (there are seminaries that are older, but not faculties). The Faculty dates back to 1917 when the Presbyterian Church and the Netherdutch Reformed Church of Africa (NHKA) began training their ministers at the University of Pretoria. The Presbyterian Church withdrew in the 1920’s.
In 1937 the Dutch Reformed Church (NGK) joined, but formed a separate section in the Faculty. Up to 1999, the Faculty of Theology had two completely independent sections (A & B). These two sections merged on 1 January 2000 and the Faculty became a multi-ecclesial faculty comprising the two traditional partners. The Uniting Presbyterian Church (UPCSA) joined the Faculty in 2002, and the latest partner is the Uniting Reformed Church (URCSA) which joined in 2012.
Share this page
Last edited by Judith FourieEdit