The Faculty of Health Sciences welcomed back 454 final year medical students on 11 May 2020 following the directive given on 30 April 2020 by the Minister of Higher Education, Dr Blade Nzimande. The safety of staff members and students remains a priority for the University, and this is why the Faculty of Health Sciences has put extensive measures in place under the Level 4 restrictions.
Some facilities on Prinshof Campus have been reopened, and students are being accommodated in the residences Curlitzia, Tuks Bophelong, House Ukuthula and Hippokrates. Clinical training platforms in various hospitals are open to help ensure that the final year students complete their practical’s in record time. All communal areas will remain closed during this period.
Each student received personal protective equipment, sanitiser, KN95 respirator and a face shield.
The following measures in accordance with the COVID-19 Occupational Health and Safety Measures in the Workplace and on Campus (C19 OHS) have been put in place.
- Access to Campus: Access to campus will only be granted on presentation of a valid UP permit as well as a staff or student card and all staff and students must wear a face mask. It is the students and staff’s responsibility to make sure that they wash their masks according to the recommended guidelines.
- Screening: Staff and students will be screened for COVID-19 by amongst others completing a questionnaire and undergoing a temperature assessment. This will be done daily when staff report for work or students report for class or practical’s.
- Staff, students and guests showing signs of COVID-19 symptoms: Following the COVID-19 screening process if a student, staff or guest indicate that they have symptoms related to COVID-19 they will not be permitted to enter the campus or access any building and need to immediately inform their Head of Department or line manager by phone or e-mail. They should also self-isolate and or seek medical attention. Staff and students must immediately notify the University if they are aware of any risk to the health of their colleagues or fellow students.
- Social distancing measures: All students and staff members are required to maintain a distance of 1.5 m (one and a half metres) from one another at all times and physical contact (hugging and handshakes) is strongly discouraged.
- Hand Sanitiser: Hand sanitisers containing 70% of alcohol have been placed in accessible areas for staff and students. Both staff and students have to sanitise their hands between interactions and engagements. Everyone needs to wash their hands regularly. For steps on how to wash your hands effectively, please watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txx2apgK_nc&list=PLd6FME3D1tzNvoCm_JHJ5Pgn3esEM318d&index=2&t=0s
- Cleaning and disinfecting: The University will ensure that all work surfaces and shared equipment are disinfected regularly throughout the day. Toilets, public areas and door handles will be cleaned and disinfected regularly.
All students and staff members are expected to comply with the measures put in place to keep each other safe. Those who violate the above measures should be reported to [email protected].