Teaching and Learning at the University of Pretoria
The culture of excellent teaching is firmly entrenched at UP across all fields of study.
Important information for academics:
Other information for academics:
Teaching and Learning related support from other departments (not EI):
Teaching and learning at the University of Pretoria
UP introduced a flipped-learning methodology that requires students to prepare thoroughly for class, complete pre-class assessments and engage in class.
Study guide templates (2024)
Due to various necessary content additions, the UP study guides became very bulky and unfocused lately. In future, each department will also create its own Departmental Guidelines. This document will contain guidelines pertaining to policies, procedures, rules, regulations, support services, etc. These could be contextualised by each department where relevant. This generic “Departmental Guidelines” document should be uploaded on all clickUP modules/websites. The module study guides focus on module-specific information only and refer to the Departmental Guidelines by means of a link, without repeating all the details.
Support for academic staff & Self-help guides
The clickUP help site and Blackboard help site contain many resources on how to use all the above-mentioned tools. You may also contact the e-support office, but the response time might be slower during this period due to the high volume of requests.
- Academic staff who are new to online instruction or clickUP (Blackboard Learn), can consult the quick start guide.
- The clickUP lecturer help site provides comprehensive guidelines on the use of the system.
- Students can go to the clickUP self-help website if they do not know how to use the UP Portal, student emails, clickUP tools or Turnitin.
- Students can download the Self-help Manual if they do not know how to use the UP Portal, student emails, clickUP tools or Turnitin.
There is also a team of dedicated Instructional Designers (IDs) and Educational Consultants (ECs) that will support you. Educational consultants can advise you on learning design, didactically sound hybrid teaching and learning, alternative assessment, curriculum, and open educational resources (OER). Your Faculty's Instructional Designers (IDs) will assist you should you need any help with eLearning, clickUP, Online assessment (QuestUP, clickUP, Turnitin, Respondus), and in-video assessment.
Head of Education Consultancy: Dr Rejoice Nsibande
Head of Instructional Designers: Detken Scheepers
|Dr Heather Goode
|Dr Marius Pienaar
|Dr Alfred Hlabane
|Dr Nonkanyiso Vokwana
|Dr Marius Pienaar
|Dr Hannelie Untiedt
Dr Nomathemba Ngcobo
|Dr El-Marie Mostert
UP Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) grants
The aims and scope of The Scholarship of Learning and Teaching (SoTL) at UP are:
- To advance scholarly teaching at an institutional level.
- To provide opportunities for UP staff to implement innovation in teaching and learning.
- To contribute to knowledge development and dissemination in disciplinary teaching and learning.
- To advance reflective practice.
- To share good teaching practices.
In 2024, you can apply for two types of SoTL grants. The first is the SoTL research grant, which is similar to the SoTL grants that were awarded in previous years. The purpose of the SoTL research grant is knowledge production and publication output. The second is the SoTL innovative project grant. A creative project grant aims to design and implement research-informed teaching practices.
How do you apply for SoTL funding?
- Read the Procedure for the application for a one-year SoTL grant.
- Complete the SoTL application form here by 15 January 2024.
Suggested topics for 2024 SoTL projects are:
- Teaching and learning in a hybrid/hyflex environment
- AI and learner analytics to support teaching and learning
- Educational technology to facilitate learning
- Innovative assessment to support student success
- Fostering student engagement in hybrid and online teaching
- Instilling life-long learning skills through expeditionary/ self-directed learning
- Effective teaching and learning in large class teaching
- Transdisciplinary teaching and learning in higher education
- Curriculum renewal and transformation (including alignment with graduate attributes)
Reminder for the 2023 SoTL grants: Please complete the report before 1 December 2023.