The BCom (Financial Sciences) degree combines the disciplines of Financial Management, Internal Auditing and Taxation in a single degree with the aim of giving students more options for further study. The introduction to these disciplines empowers students to choose their field of specialisation at the honours level.
This undergraduate degree enables graduates to select one of three specialisations at the honours level. Each of the postgraduate degrees is accredited by the relevant national or international professional bodies in the field, providing confirmation that graduates will have received the best quality education as required by industry. This paves the way for graduates to pursue various advanced professional qualifications. The BCom (Financial Sciences) degree is accredited at:
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- The Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
The University of Pretoria is one of only 12 universities in the world accredited as a Center for Internal Audit Excellence—the highest level of accreditation awarded by the International Institute of Internal Auditors.
To be successful in this degree, students need to be:
- Passionate about numbers
- Attentive to details
- Innovative in solving problems
- Able to communicate well
- Good at interpersonal engagements
For more information visit www.up.ac.za/financial-management.
Careers with a focus on:
Financial accounting: Financial accountants, credit controllers, SAIPA (South African Institute of Professional Accountants) and ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants)
Financial management: Management accountants, management consultants, financial advisors, cost accountants and financial managers
Taxation: Tax advisors, tax auditors in public practice, tax policy designers, tax professionals, tax compliance managers, SARS auditors and tax risk managers
Internal auditing: Internal auditors, risk officers, forensic auditors, IT auditors, performance auditors, environmental auditors, compliance officers, government auditors and governance auditors
- SA – 30/06/2023
- Non-SA – 30/06/2023
Important information for all prospective students for 2024
The admission requirements below apply to all who apply for admission to the University of Pretoria with a National Senior Certificate (NSC) and Independent Examination Board (IEB) qualifications. Click here for this Faculty Brochure.
English Home Language or English First Additional Language
Life Orientation is excluded when calculating the APS.
Applicants currently in Grade 12 must apply with their final Grade 11 (or equivalent) results.
Applicants who have completed Grade 12 must apply with their final NSC or equivalent qualification results.
Please note that meeting the minimum academic requirements does not guarantee admission.
Successful candidates will be notified once admitted or conditionally admitted.
Unsuccessful candidates will be notified after 30 June.
Applicants should check their application status regularly on the UP Student Portal at click here.
Applicants with qualifications other than the abovementioned should refer to the Brochure: Undergraduate Programme Information 2024: Qualifications other than the NSC and IEB, available at click here.
International students: Click here.
A transferring student is a student who, at the time of applying at the University of Pretoria (UP) is/was a registered student at another tertiary institution. A transferring student will be considered for admission based on NSC or equivalent qualification and previous academic performance. Students who have been dismissed from other institutions due to poor academic performance will not be considered for admission to UP.
Closing dates: Same as above.
A returning student is a student who, at the time of application for a degree programme is/was a registered student at UP, and wants to transfer to another degree at UP. A returning student will be considered for admission based on NSC or equivalent qualification and previous academic performance.
- Students who have been excluded/dismissed from a faculty due to poor academic performance may be considered for admission to another programme at UP, as per faculty-specific requirements.
- Only ONE transfer between UP faculties and TWO transfers within a faculty will be allowed.
- Admission of returning students will always depend on the faculty concerned and the availability of space in the programmes for which they apply.
Closing date for applications from returning students
Unless capacity allows for an extension of the closing date, applications from returning students must be submitted before the end of August via your UP Student Centre.
Minimum duration of study
3 years, full-time
All modules will only be presented in English, which is the University's official language of tuition, communication and correspondence.
The Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences aspires to be at the cutting edge of economic, financial and management education, as well as research and community engagement within the national, African and global context. Our mission is to advance relevant knowledge and develop employable, innovative and diverse graduates to co-create value for society.
- Disclaimer: This publication contains information about regulations and programmes of the University of Pretoria. Amendments to or updating of the information may be effected from time to time without prior notification. The accuracy, correctness or validity of the information contained here is therefore not guaranteed by the University at any given time and is always subject to verification. The user is kindly requested to verify the correctness of the information with the University at all times. Failure to do so will not give rise to any claim or action of any nature against the University by any party whatsoever.
Enquiries about the programme