Consumer and Food Sciences
PhD Food science
Dry heat treatments of sorghum grains: influence on the flour storage stability and porridge sensory characteristics.
For my PhD research, I studied the effects of dry heat treatment methods notably, microwaving and roasting of sorghum grains on the sensory, physicochemical and functional properties of their flours. Utilization of sorghum flour is limited by its susceptibility to lipid hydrolysis and oxidation causing rancid off-flavours. Grain roasting has potential to improve the flour stability but impacts the sensory quality of porridge made from the flour. The study demonatrated the effectiveness of dry heat treatments to inactivate the flour lipases to various degrees and retard free fatty acid oxidation. Microwave treatment of sorghum is recommended to be an effective technology to stabilize sorghum flour and thereby enhance its food product quality.
- Prof HL de Kock
- Prof JRN Taylor
- Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST)
- International Society for Tropical Root Crops (ISTRC-AB)
- American Society for Test and Materials (ASTM) International (No.2067984)
- African Food Research Network (AFREN)
- African Network for Sensory Research (ANSWER)
- Adebowale, O.J., Taylor, J.R.N. and de Kock, H.L. (2020). Stabilization of wholegrain sorghum flour and consequent potential improvement of food product sensory quality by microwave treatment of the kernels. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 132, 109827.
- Makanjuola, O.M. and Adebowale, O.J. (2020). Vitamins, Functional and Sensory Attributes of Biscuits produced from Wheat-Cocoyam composite flour. Journal of Scientific and Innovation Research, 9(2): 77-82.
- Adebowale, O.J and Komolafe, O.M. (2018). Effect of supplementation with defatted-coconut paste on proximate composition, physical and sensory qualities a maize-based snack. Journal of Culinary Science and Technology, 16(1), 40-51.
- Oladele, A.K., Adebowale, O.J and Bamidele, O.P. (2017). Phenolic profile and antioxidant activity of brown and yellow varieties of Tigernut (Cyperus esculentus L.). Nigeria Food Journal, 35(1): 51-59.
- Bamidele, O.P., Fasogbon, M.B., Adebowale, O.J., Adeyanju, A.A., and Olawoye, B. (2017). Blanching time, the effect on total phenolic, mineral content and antioxidant activities of selected Green Leafy Vegetables in Nigeria. Current Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 24(4), 1-8.
- Akoja, S.S., Adebowale, O.J., Makanjuola, O.M and Salaam, H.A. (2017). Functional properties, nutritional and sensory qualities of maize-based snack (Kokoro) supplemented with protein hydrolysate prepared from Pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan) seed. Journal of Culinary Science and Technology. 15 (4), 306-319.
- Adebowale, O.J., Salaam, H. A., Komolafe, O.M., Adebiyi, T. A. and Ilesanmi, I. O. (2017). Quality Characteristics of Noodles Produced from Wheat flour and Modified Starch of African Breadfruit (Artocarpus altilis) Blends. Journal of Culinary Science and Technology. 15:1, 75-88.
- Adebowale, O.J., Salaam, H.A., Umar, B.F. and Komolafe, O.M. (2014). Fractionation and some conditions on the extractability of Tropical Almond (Terminalia catapa) seed protein. Current Research in Nutrition and Food Science, 2(3): 165-169.
- Adebowale, O., Ajayi, A. and Ibikunle, T. (2013). Quality Assessment of Biscuits from Green plantain (Musa paradisiaca) and African Breadfruit (Treculia africana) flours. Journal of Culinary Science & Technology, 11(4): 336-345.
- Adebowale, O.J. and Maliki, K. (2011). Effect of Fermentation Periods on the Chemical composition and Functional properties of Pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan) seed. International Food Research Journal, 18 (4): 1329-1333.
- Adebowale, O.J., Idowu, M.A. and Bankole, M.O. (2009). Influence of Sweet potato flour Diastatic activity on Rheological, Baking and Sensory characteristics of wheat-Sweet potato composite Bread. Nigerian Food Journal, 27(2): 204–209.
- Ogundele, G.F., Adebowale, O.J., Adeboye, A.S., and Bamidele, O.P. (2019). Quality evaluation of maize-cassava composite flour for instant “Banku” preparation. 43rd Conference & Annual General Meeting of the Nigerian Institute of Food Science & Technology (NIFST). October 2019, Awka, Nigeria-Poster Presentation.
- Adebowale, O.J., Taylor, J.R.N. and de Kock, H.L. (2019). Effect of microwaving sorghum grain on sensory characteristics of cooked porridge from flour stored for up to 6 weeks at 50 ºC. 23rd Biennial International Congress & Exhibition of the South African Association for Food Science & Technology (SAAFoST). 1-4 September 2019, Johannesburg, South Africa-Poster presentation.
- Adebowale, O.J., Taylor, J.R.N. and de Kock, H.L. (2019). Microwaving of sorghum grain: effects on shelf-life of flour as evaluated based on the sensory characteristics of porridge. 13th Pangborn Sensory Science Symposium. 28 July – 1 August 2019, Edinburgh, Scotland- Poster presentation.
- Adebowale, O.J., Taylor, J.R.N. and de Kock, H.L. (2018). Effect of roasting time of sorghum grain on the phenolic concentration, antioxidant activity and browning index of their flour. “Sorghum in the 21st Century” Conference. 9-12 April 2018, Cape Town, South Africa-Oral presentation (Second-runner up award).
- Adebowale, O.J., Taylor, J.R.N. and de Kock, H.L. (2017). Towards improving the stability of sorghum flour: The role of microwaving and roasting sorghum grain. 22nd Biennial International Congress and Exhibition of the South African Association for Food Science & Technology (SAAFoST). 3-6 September 2017, Cape Town,South Africa-Poster presented.
- Maliki, K., Ajayi, A., Makanjuola, O.M. and Adebowale, O.J. (2016). Drying effect on the proximate composition and functional properties of cocoyam flour. 18th International Conference on Food Security and Nutrition, 1-2, June, 2016, Dubai, United Arab Emirate-Oral presentation.
- Ajayi, A, Aiyeleye, F.B. and Adebowale, O.J. (2015). Effect of dehydration methods on the proximate and functional properties of tomato powder. 29th EFFoST Conference. Athens, Greece-Oral presentation.