Meet the Dean and Deputy Dean
Meet the Dean - Professor André Boraine
André Boraine took up office as Dean of the Faculty of Law on 1 November 2011, with a second term appointment as from 1 November 2015.
Prof Boraine was the Head of the Department of Procedural Law from 1999 until the end of October 2011. He holds the degrees LLB (Pret) LLM cum laude (Wits) LLD (Pret). The title of his LLD thesis was “Die leerstuk van vernietigbare transaksies in die Suid-Afrikaanse Insolvensiereg” (The doctrine of voidable transactions in the South African Insolvency Law).
He was appointed as a full-time senior lecturer in the Department of Mercantile Law at the University of Pretoria in 1985. With effect from 1 January 1995 he was promoted to the position of associate professor and to the rank of full professor on 1 January 1997. He became the Head of the Department of Procedural Law as from 1 September 1999 and he also served as part-time Deputy Dean of the Faculty during that year.
He is a co-founder and Director of the Centre for Advanced Corporate and Insolvency Law, which has been extensively involved in the drafting of new insolvency legislation.
Prof Boraine is frequently invited to present papers at national and international conferences and he has published extensively in the field of Insolvency Law. He is co-author of the third edition of Silberberg and Schoeman’s "Law of Property"and Meskin’s "Insolvency Law". Both these volumes are regarded as leading textbooks in the respective fields of Property Law and Insolvency Law in South Africa.
Prof Boraine serves on the editorial panel of the International Insolvency Law Review and has acted as referee for numerous articles for national and international journals, as well as for applications for NRF-ratings. He also serves on the management board of the Academics Group of Insol International and is an honorary member of the Association of Insolvency Practitioners of South Africa.
The World Bank recently appointed him as consultant concerning a diagnostic analysis of the legal framework in South Africa for regulating insolvency law and the rights of debtors and creditors. Over the years he has taught a variety of law subjects at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and provided practical legal training to candidate attorneys and insolvency practitioners.
His research interests include insolvency law, with a particular focus on international insolvency, civil procedural law and aspects of property law. Prof Boraine is currently a B1-rated NRF researcher.
Meet the Deputy Dean - Professor Anton Kok
Prof Anton Kok holds the degrees BCom (Law) LLB LLM LLD (Pret). After completing his articles of clerkship at Deneys Reitz Inc (now Norton Rose Fulbright), Sandton, Anton was appointed senior lecturer to the Department of Legal History, Comparative Law and Legal Philosophy (now the Department of Jurisprudence) in 1999. He completed his doctorate in March 2008, entitled “A socio-legal analysis of the Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act 4 of 2000”. He was promoted to associate professor in 2010. He was appointed as the Programme Coordinator for the LLB for 2008 and 2009 and as Deputy Dean of the Faculty in 2010. He was appointed as acting dean from January to October 2011. He was reappointed for a second term as Deputy Dean in 2014.
At undergraduate level, Anton has taught Legal Skills, Critical Race and Gender, Introduction to Law, Law and Literature and Human Rights. He is the coordinator for Essay and Seminar 400. At postgraduate level he has taught on Discrimination Law in the LLM (Human Rights and Constitutional Practice). LLM (Human Rights and Democratisation in Africa) and the LLM/MPhil (Multi-disciplinary human rights).
His main areas of interest are equality legislation, human rights and legal education.
- “The Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act 4 of 2000: Court-driven or legislature-driven societal transformation?” (2008) 19 Stellenbosch Law Review 122-142.
- "The potential effectiveness of the Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act 4 of 2000" 2008 (33) Journal for Juridical Science (Tydskrif vir Regswetenskap) 42-68
- “The Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act 4 of 2000: Proposals for Legislative Reform” 2008 (24) South African Journal on Human Rights 445-471
- “Which is the appropriate forum when hate speech occurs in the workplace: The Equality Court or Labour Court? Strydom v Chiloane 2008 (2) SA 247 (T)” 2009 (24) SA Public Law
- "An analysis of the planning and implementation of the training of Equality Court personnel relating to the Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act 4 of 2000 parts 1, 2, 3 and 4" 2010 (43) De Jure 38 - 75 and 271 - 307.
- “Not so hunky-dory: Failing to distinguish between differentiation and discrimination: Stanard Bank of SOuth Africa Ltd v Hunkydory Investments 194 (Pty) Ltd (No 1) 2010 1 SA 627 (C)” 2011 (74) Tydskrif vir Hedendaagse Romeins-Hollandse Reg 340-346
- “Die siviele verbod op haatspraak – “Shoot the Boer” in die gelykheidshof, hoë hof en die uisaaiklagtetribunaal” 2014 (11) Litnet Akademies 198-219 (with L Botha)
- “A consumer’s fundamental right to equality in terms of the Consumer Protection Act and the role of the Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act” 2015 (78) Tydskrif vir Hedendaagse Romeins-Hollandse Reg 1-23 (with J Barnard)
- "The Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act 4 of 2000: How to balance religious freedom and other human rights in the higher education sphere” (2017) 31 South African Journal on Higher Education 25-44
Anton is a Y2 NRF rated researcher.
Academic and professional memberships
Anton is the Local Director of the Five-week Practical Legal Training Courses presented on the UP campus by the Legal Education and Development Department of the Law Society of South Africa. He is also a member of Clarity, the Southern African Society of Legal Historians, the Legal Writing Institute and the Suid-Afrikaanse Akademie vir Wetenskap en Kuns.
Awards & bursaries
In 2016 Anton was appointed as the University of Pretoria's coordinator of transformation initiatives dealing with language, curriculum and institutional and residential culture work streams.
In 2014 he was the recipient of the Dux Docens award for his service to the University of Pretoria student community. He also received an award as a member of the Top Action Learning Project Team of the GIBS University of Pretoria Programme for Academic Leadership in 2014.
In 2013 he was recognised for his involvement in the SRC Elections as a member of the Independent Monitoring Body.
In 2009 he received R30 000 from the University of Pretoria's Research Development Programme to conduct empirical research on South Africa's equality courts which funding was renewed for 2010 and 2011.
He was awarded “best publication by junior researcher in the Faculty of Law, University of Pretoria” in 2000 and 2001.
Contact details - Office of the Dean:
Tel: +27 12 420 4126
Fax: +27 12 326 5184
Email: [email protected]
Share this page
Last edited by Elzet HurterEdit