UP awarded the first Student Chapter of SIAM in South Africa
The first ever Student Chapter of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) in South Africa has been awarded to the University of Pretoria.
Since its incorporation in 1952, SIAM has distinguished itself as an international champion for innovation and excellence through publications, research and community service. SIAM is a publisher of 16 ISI journals which are among the top ones in the involved fields.
Since 1979, SIAM has introduced the Student Chapter of SIAM programme, which through a variety of activities and initiatives, aims at encouraging the promotion of applied mathematics and computational science to students, especially, but not limited to postgraduate students. Currently there are 141 Student Chapters of SIAM throughout the world.
The University of Pretoria Chapter of SIAM intends:
- To make students aware of the crucial importance of mathematical sciences for the development of the country and of the fact that all the scientific and scarce skills in the South African National Scarce Skill List are dependent on mathematics;
- To generate interest in mathematics by providing student opportunities:
- To share ideas and enthusiasm with fellow students and academics from any relevant department at the University of Pretoria;
- To explore career opportunities in and beyond South Africa;
- To make contacts and initiate fruitful collaborations.
While there is no doubt that the University of Pretoria Chapter of SIAM contributes to increase international visibility of our University, student members themselves will enjoy several benefits including the following:
- Eligibility to receive free student membership in SIAM;
- SIAM awards certificates of recognition for outstanding service to the chapter;
- Financial support for the Chapter’s activities;
- Participation in SIAM annual meetings.
The current Faculty Advisor of the University of Pretoria Chapter of SIAM is Prof Jean Lubuma, while the student officers are Mr Gray Manicom (President), Mr Zakaria Ali (Vice-President), Ms Chibale Mumba (Secretary) and Mr Tasfale Mabate (Treasurer).