Office: IT Building 6-63, Hatfield Campus
Tel: +27 12 420 4360
BA Publishing, BIS (Hons) Publishing, MIS Publishing (Cum Laude) (Pretoria)
Ms Miller joined the Department in 2013. She was formerly employed as a Media and Communications Manager at trade publishing houses in the private sector. She is currently busy with her PhD, focusing on the promotion of Afrikaans literature beyond country borders, applying a coopetition business model.
- Subsidiary rights management
- Minority publishing (Afrikaans)
- Paratext and promotion of books
- Marketing and communication in publishing specifically
Researcher ID profile:
Module coordinator and lecturer:
- PUB 320 – Publishing: Management in the publishing environment
- PUB 729 – Editorial practice: List building and acquisition of rights
PUB 110 – Publishing: The book publishing environment
PUB 120 – Publishing: The South African book publishing environment
PUB 311 – Publishing: Commissioning
PUB 725 – Research project 2: The international publishing environment
Recent publications and presentations
- Miller, S. (2020). The South African Publishing Gate: Information Keepers and Seekers. Mousaion: South African Journal of Information Studies, 37(4), p. 17 pages. doi: 10.25159/2663-659X/6999.
- Buitendach (Miller), S. & le Roux, E. (2018). Travelling Stories: Selling Translation Rights of Afrikaans Fiction to Dutch Publishers. Publishers Research Quarterly, April 2018:1-16.
- Möller, J. & Buitendach, S. (2015). One title, two languages: investigating the trends of publishing adult nonfiction titles in English and Afrikaans during 2010-2014. Communicatio, 41(2):153-174.
- Buitendach, S. & le Roux, E. (2014). The production and reception of Deon Meyer’s works: An evaluation of the factors contributing to bestseller status. Scrutiny2, 19(1):18-34.
- 6th By the Book Conference, Florence, Italy (June 2019), ‘Navigating Afrikaans publishing in a ‘hypercentral’ language landscape.’ (Presentation of paper)
- 6th Print Culture in South Africa conference, University of Pretoria (May 2019), ‘The Publishing Gate: Information Keepers and Seekers.’
- Stichting Studiefonds voor Zuid-Afrikaanse Studenten travel grant for purposes of Masters research, 2014
- MIS Publishing (Cum Laude), 2018
- PhD Bursary from Die Akademie vir Wetenskap en Kuns, 2020-2021
- EBIT Faculty House 2020: EBIT Faculty Lecturer of the Year Awards