Welcome to the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the University of Pretoria is the oldest and biggest Industrial Engineering department in South Africa. The first Industrial Engineers graduated from the University of Pretoria in 1963. Up to 1974 Industrial Engineering was offered as a program in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. In 1975 the Department of Industrial Engineering was established as an independent academic department.
Over the past thirty plus years the Department
- Produced university educated Industrial Engineers capable of serving a diverse range of manufacturing and service organisations in the pursuit of optimum productivity in the widest sense of the word.
- Reliably continued to serve the University of Pretoria in an economically viable fashion.
- Supported the School of Engineering by training other branches of Engineering in the probabilistic approach to problem solving.
- Underwrote the mission of the Southern African Institute for Industrial Engineering in supporting and regulating the profession of Industrial Engineering.
- Created and supported Industrial Engineering research at undergraduate and postgraduate level in developing the field of study.
- Served as the driving force of the South African Journal of Industrial Engineering.
Through the Washington Accord, the equivalence of accredited degree programmes in signatory countries is acknowledged as having met the academic requirements for entry into the practice of engineering and subsequent registration as a professional engineer. At present the signatory countries are Australia, Canada, Ireland, Hong Kong, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States.
Share this page