- Honours degree in Political Sciences or relevant honours degree
- A cumulative weighted average of at least 70% for the honours degree
- An admissions essay may be required
Note: Additional work/modules may be required in order to reach the desired level of competency
- Prospective students may be required to submit an admissions essay or to sit for an examination or to do additional work/modules to enable them to reach the desired level of study.
- An acceptable level of proficiency in English or Afrikaans is a requisite.
- An approved research proposal is required.
University of Pretoria Programme Qualification Mix (PQM) verification project
The higher education sector has undergone an extensive alignment to the Higher Education Qualification Sub-Framework (HEQF) across all institutions in South Africa. In order to comply with the HEQSF, all institutions are legally required to participate in a national initiative led by regulatory bodies such as the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), the Council on Higher Education (CHE), and the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). The University of Pretoria is presently engaged in an ongoing effort to align its qualifications and programmes with the HEQSF criteria. Current and prospective students should take note that changes to UP qualification and programme names, may occur as a result of the HEQSF initiative. Students are advised to contact their faculties if they have any questions.