We would like to invite students to read through our self-help material. The content is particularly relevant during the lock-down period and may assist with various stressors that could arise during this time.
We offer some tips and information on how to maintain a healthy mental state during this time of social distancing and isolation. Other topics include how to keep yourself active and be creative, how to combat boredom and take interesting study breaks, and how to manage anxiety. We tell you more about being resilient - an important skill during times of stress and rapid change.
We offer information about living in harmony with others during lockdown. Relationships are important, but may become strained during difficult periods. We can all become better at managing our relationships and improve our listening and communication skills. These skills will stand you in good stead during your university career, but also in the future.
Wondering about tests and exams approaching? Now is a good time to prepare not only academically, but mentally as well. We include documents on developing your unique learning style and using mind-maps while studying. There is also information on how to manage stress during tests and exams.
The podcasts are a fun way to stay informed about mental health issues. You can now take us along with you wherever you go!
Finally, remember even though it is important to look after your health and wellbeing during lock-down, the aim is to maintian optimal wellness habits for the rest of your life.
The SCU staff compiled the documents by consulting reliable sources. If you are interested in any of the references, please send an email to [email protected]
The resources should not be seen as a replacement for psychotherapy or medical advice - they are merely for your information. If you are concerned about anything and would rather talk about it, please contact us on [email protected] to set up an appointment.
Happy reading and listening!
- Exam Preparation Workshop (SCU) - //www.up.ac.za/media/shared/396/ZP_Images/exam-preparation_latest-version_2018.zp164048.pdf
- Mental wellness tips during lock-down - PDF (0.32 MB)
- Sharing a house - become a team player! - PDF (0.16 MB)
- Stress management / Exam stress - PDF (0.21 MB)
- Relationships - PDF (0.26 MB)
- Basic health tips during the COVID pandemic - PDF (0.2 MB)
- Build Psychological Resilience - PDF (0.14 MB)
- Creative ways to take a break - PDF (0.13 MB)
- Easy Coping Mechanisms to Combat Physical Anxiety - PDF (0.17 MB)
- Promote your mental health //www.up.ac.za/media/shared/396/ZP_Resources/promote-your-mental-health-during-covid-19.zp188488.pdf
- Discover your unique learning style //www.up.ac.za/media/shared/396/ZP_Resources/learning-styles.zp188534.pdf
- Use mind maps to study //www.up.ac.za/media/shared/396/ZP_Resources/mind-mapping.zp188535.pdf
- Sexual Health and Unplanned Pregnancy Information - TeleHealth sessions available //www.up.ac.za/media/shared/396/ZP_Resources/marie-stopes-telemed-sessions.zp189886.jpg
- Online learning: Study Tips //www.up.ac.za/media/shared/396/ZP_Resources/online-learning-study-tips.zp190645.pdf
- Online learning: Ways to Study //www.up.ac.za/media/shared/396/ZP_Resources/online-learning-ways-to-study.zp190646.pdf
- Time Management Quick Scan //www.up.ac.za/media/shared/396/ZP_Resources/time-management.zp190647.mp4Podcast